Author Topic: 20 mm cannon  (Read 1413 times)

Offline martinicadet

• Trade Count: (0)
20 mm cannon
« on: August 17, 2008, 09:03:27 PM »
I was going to build a golf ball cannon but a friend gave me a 20 mm barrel.  Has anyone built a legal breech loader with this barrel?  Also what would be the best welding rod to use on it.   I made a mortar that fires a small juice can,  its a crowd pleaser but i want something that can be fired with a little more accuracy.   Finally, what would be the best projectile to use?  I found this site yesterday and joined immediately,  it's GREAT.  Thanks for your help.  Martinicadet

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: 20 mm cannon
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 06:09:24 AM »
Welcome to the board...with a handle like MartiniCadet, I can tell you are a person of good taste.  Martini's are my real shooting passion.

There are any number of pre 1899 breechloaders you can build and plenty of guys here who will help guide you to them.  Take a look at the stickies at the top of the board for some ideas.  Also take a look at the thread we have going here on Whitworths.. Although the rifling in your barrel would not be a duplicate you sure could make the outside look similar.

Good luck and have fun, safely.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 09:05:27 AM »
first of all , very welcome here .
if you look at page 2 you will find "starting a build"
so far thats the only I know who will use a 20 mm barrel. ok now you are 2  ::)
but Ive just been a member for 6 months and havent had time to read it all yet.
what skills do you have when it comes to machining and welding ??
you need to be an very skilled craftsman to do such an build in an safe way . but here is probably the one and only place where you could find info enough for doing such an build   ;D ;D
please post some smoking actions pictures here of your mortar, we love them   ;D
once again welcome here
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 02:34:45 PM »
     Glad to have you aboard.  sounds like a fun project that can actually produce a very accurate gun.   
I was going to build a golf ball cannon but a friend gave me a 20 mm barrel.  Has anyone built a legal breech loader with this barrel? [quote/]

See the Big Bore Page here:   http://www.nmpproducts.com/rt07.htm      It has quite a few dead links, but the photos at the bottom show what can be done.
We aren't welders, but lots of welding experts are members; they will want to know what type of steel is this barrel made of.  And you will have to determine if the bore is chrome plated or not.  Heavy chrome plating will screw up a high speed steel reamer in short order.  You will have to figure out what type of cannon you want to produce before you get the answers to very specific questions like projectile type because you may want to use anything from cast lead to machined steel with an integral copper driving band or maybe surplus military practice (inert) ammunition.

Good luck to you and be sure to let us know what type you want to build.

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 03:20:53 AM »
I'm still interested to see which version of 20mm barrel you have (there are dozens which vary widely in value,) there are some worth many hundreds of $ to people who have the guns, and you might want to consider how many golf ball cannons you could buy, or how many less valuable 20mm barrels you could get with that kind of money.  I sent a PM to you many days ago but since you are new to the boards I'm not sure you knew how to access it.  I'm talking of course about full-up 20mm barrels with the original chamber, full length, no demil.  If you have a demilled barrel without chamber you can go ahead and do what you want without fear that you should do something more lucrative with it.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 06:34:27 AM »
     Martinicadet,    Does your 20mm cannon barrel or portion of a barrel look like these?  We found this Vulcan Gun cluster of barrels at Waterveliet Arsenal in 2004.  The Air Force has used these since about 1960 and they will most likely be in use for another 20 years!  Any ideas yet on what form your cannon will take?

Regards,

Mike and Tracy

It's true, every time we show some genuine interest, the museum curators invite us to see the "Back Room".  That's where they keep the good stuff!

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 10:14:17 AM »
oooohhh yeah it sure is , I just found that out a few weeks ago .
from now the basements and storage rooms are my favorite .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry