Author Topic: Wolf ML  (Read 2256 times)

Offline kctibs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Wolf ML
« on: February 17, 2011, 04:32:57 PM »
Going to be buying a ML for my 11 year old in the next few months.  I am a Encore owner so I have been looking at the T/C Impact.  But I am considering maybe the Wolf can any of you CVA guys sell me on the Wolf? I am open to suggestions.  I know the Impact comes with the adjustable LOP and the Wolf come in standard and compact.  What else are the some of the pros and cons?

Thanks
"Where liberty dwells, there is my country."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder

Offline possume

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Wolf ML
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 05:39:37 PM »
the new wolfs have the quick release breech plug that uses no tools and they shoot great plus i like the hamer better on the wolf and they are cheaper.but the best thing to do is let your son feel the guns and tell you wich one feels better to him

Offline kctibs

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 03:39:50 AM »
I sure do agree on letting him handle both and see what he likes better and what fits him better. It is just finding them both locally so he can do that and that may not be an issue.  I have not tried to find any yet.
-- Benjamin Franklin

Offline kctibs

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 04:40:27 PM »
I think I have decided to not go with the Wolf. Only because after reading a few different reviews that CVA's seem to have a problem shooting BH 209 powder. Has to do with their QRBP.  Anybody else aware of this?
-- Benjamin Franklin

Offline possume

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 05:42:37 PM »
i think lots of guns have problems shooting bh209 my freinds tc omega would not shoot it good he had lots of hangfires he got a new breechplug and it did the same he worked on it with some torch tip cleaners and reemed the hole out some shoots it fine now

Offline BIG Dog454

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 09:26:19 AM »
My son has a Wolf and shoots BH209, no problem.  He's killed a lot of deer using the wolf, a realy great gun.
BD

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 03:52:28 PM »
Its a very simple fix even if it does have trouble setting it off. BH209 is pretty new and basically the breech plugs of yesterday weren't up to par. CVA will have a new plug out in June that was designed by Western Powders " BH209" that will reliably set off the powder with no issues whatsoever.  It basically is a flash hole - flash channel deal that can cause hangfiring with BH209.

Did you check out the CVA Optima? it only runs $225 at www.rrarms.com

Offline bigbird09

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 04:44:58 PM »
my step dad has one with the standard breech plug and shoots pyrodex with no problems.  It holds 1 1/2-2in group at 100 yards with cheap T/C sabots.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

novice shooter, gunsmith, reloader, that is always open to help, tips, and tricks.

Malin v17/.17HMR, Handi-rifle/.223, Mossburg 500A/12g, Winchester 1300/20g, CVA eclipse magnum/.50

Offline kctibs

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 12:21:28 PM »
That is good to know that some shoot BH 209 well sure wish they were all the same.  As far as the CVA having a new breech plug I heard it is not going to be sold with the ML and will have to be bought seperatly.
-- Benjamin Franklin

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 08:39:18 AM »
a .035 drill bit will fix the CVA breach plug problem for about .$.50.
BD

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 06:33:18 PM »
That is good to know that some shoot BH 209 well sure wish they were all the same.  As far as the CVA having a new breech plug I heard it is not going to be sold with the ML and will have to be bought seperatly.
That's not true, I purchased the CVA Camo version of the Magnum Wolf from Gander Mtn (online), it came with a 3x9 Konus scope & soft case, and free shipping was offered. That gun had the new twist out breech plug, I handled it when I received it, nice balance and from what I saw, easy to clean. I honestly don't know how it shoots, because I just couldn't get over the, to me, cheap plastic feel of the gun. I took it back to Gander, where I exchanged it for a T/C Omega. I can tell you based upon what I saw, that the gun is a great muzzle loader, price is a lot more reasonable than the T/C. It just wasn't my cup of tea.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline possume

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 06:52:19 PM »
i think he was saying that the brech plug made to shoot the bh209 powder doesnt come with it

Offline kctibs

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 02:21:28 AM »
i think he was saying that the brech plug made to shoot the bh209 powder doesnt come with it

That is correct. That is what I was saying.  From what I have heard that CVA is not done with the new breech plug yet.
-- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 08:11:59 AM »
the new direct replacement plug for BH209 will be available in June.

The factory plug can work with BH209 but some are having issues losing the pressure due to loose fitting primers, carbon build up.

its a  very easy fix, it involves enlarging the flash hole .032 to .035" over all and increasing the flash channel with a 5/32" drill bit. This takes me about 5 minutes to do on my drill press.