Author Topic: 10ga turkey questions  (Read 324 times)

Offline Kal52

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
10ga turkey questions
« on: August 24, 2008, 05:31:08 PM »
I have been reading the forums the past few days and am trying to decide what gun I should get and need some advice.

I wanted a cheap, handy waterfowl/turkey/coyote gun. I have a few 12ga but none that I would shoot steel out of, and i really dont hunt waterfowl too terribly much maybe once every 5-6 years, i borrow my fathers 10ga bps or his marlin super goose 10ga, one kills at both ends and one is taller than i am  ;D

It boils down to either the 10ga or the 12ga turkey guns, 24" barrels and the extended choke tubes.

As I understand it the 10ga is a heavy cuss and if its the same weight as the ultra slugger then i know its a beast (held one today  :o). with all this added weight how is the recoil, does it tame it down quite a bit or am I just going to be lugging this thing around just to have it beat the crud out of me. On the flip side the 12ga is so light is shooting a 3" 4buck going to do the same?

For the occasional goose hunt is the 24" barrel going to be OK? ill be  mostly set up over decoys. I am not a big fan of long barrels so I'm hoping it should do the trick.

I'm leaning towards the 10ga (i don't have a 10) but am hesitant due to the weight and the seemingly lack of choke tube options as well as ammo. for coyote and turkey I'm very certain it will be great. waterfowl just more worried about length. Its heavy but it just seems so dang fun to shoot.

in the long run I may just get both, but my better half is getting me one for our anniversary and she would like for me to get it this week.

I'm going Elk hunting in the ND badlands to help out my brother and they have a crap ton of turkeys! and Id like to maybe squeeze in a chance to test it  ;D

I would love any and all opinions/advice and sorry for the  rambling post

thanks,
Dave