Author Topic: Archery deer season- any luck?  (Read 611 times)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
Archery deer season- any luck?
« on: November 01, 2008, 09:45:49 AM »
So far for me, out in the blind 4 times, only saw deer within shooting range today, but of the two bucks both were small maybe 1.5-2yr olds with spindly racks. Since I already have a nice 10 point on the wall, I let them grow up, hoping for their big brother next week! Weather is still too warm I think for much deer movement here on the Ohio River border.

Any reports?
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
Re: Archery deer season- any luck?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 03:24:03 AM »
I never was much good with the old stick & string so I just don't do it , some of the local boys up this way have downed some nice 8 and 10 pointers over the last few days .

Me , I'm waiting for gun season .  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline 2slow

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 08:37:25 AM »
I have two does down so far.  Trying to pace myself at this point.  I have passed on a lot of them, but then again, I have been out in the woods a lot so far this year.  I have seen a few bucks from my stand, but only two within range.  One was a spike and the other a 4 pointer.  I've only seen two decent bucks so far, one was close to 500 yards away from the stand I was hunting and the other was a big 8 that my dad and I jumped up yesterday scouting an area I want to hunt during the rut.  We were looking for a good tree to climb.  Didn't find a good tree, but found some that will do. 

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 12:04:51 PM »
Hey guys,

Well yesterday was the first time I was able to actually go out and look around. I think we finally have the trespasser issue resolved out at the farm. I had to leave the regular bow at home, doc still won't let me shoot it because of the back, so I borrowed my Dad's crossbow to take out. I must say that that thing impresses me, at 40 yards it will go all the way up to the fletches in a Block target! I hate to see what it will do to a deer when I get one in the scope on it. Oh, and it shoots great even at 50 yards too! It is an Excalibur Exocet 200, I just have to say Dad got his moneys worth in this thing. Should I keep it safe for him?  ;D ;D Wish me luck this weekend I am going back out to watch some more.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 12:20:38 PM »
Good luck Greg. That xbow is one of the best has to be deadly if you get one within range. This weekend should be good!

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 04:46:47 PM »
Greg,
I know for a fact that the Exocet 200 is good out to 55 yards  Great Bows . The strings and some of the small parts are made In Ohio.
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html