Author Topic: Pyrodex pellets and percussion caps????  (Read 1398 times)

Offline czvz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Pyrodex pellets and percussion caps????
« on: July 17, 2008, 01:35:14 PM »
I have a early model Knight Wolverine that uses the old percussion caps... I think they are called No. 11 caps.  I am returning back to shoot muzzleloaders, and was wondering will the old small percussion caps ignite the new fangled Pyrodex Pellets?  I would like to try deer hunting with it and don't want to spend alot of money to upgrade to the new shotgun 209 primers.  Also, does anyone have a favorite sabbot and load for the Wolverine for deer?
Thanx CZVZ

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
Re: Pyrodex pellets and percussion caps????
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 01:49:23 PM »
Percussion caps are probably going to be spotty on igniting pyrodex pellets.  I had trouble with the Triple Seven (granular) and percussion caps in my TC Renegade.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 04:32:17 PM »
my renegade does fine with them
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 04:36:55 PM »
You won't have any problem if the breach plug isn't all gunked up from residue. I have used Pyrodex and a #11 primer in a Remmy ML for years until I sold it.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline smoky

• Contributor
    • http://www.cattletoday.com/sscc
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 03:27:38 AM »
I shot pellets with the #11 caps in my Wolverine for years and never had a misfire.  However, most folks will tell you that the pellets are designed to be shot with the 209 primers.  If I were definately planning on shooting the pellets, then I would probably spend the $50 or so bucks on the conversion.

I can offer a very good shooting load in my Wolverine.  It is 80 grains of 777 fffg with a 220 grain dead center sabot on top, ignited by the #11 primer.  I have shot a ragged hole 3 shot group with this off my bench at 100 yards more than once.  I just pre measure the 80 grain charges into empty film canisters and those work about as well for reloading as the pellets (at about 1/2 the cost per load).  Not bad for a gun that can be found for under $150.

Good shooting,

Smoky
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
I would give musket caps a try before I invested in the 209 kit.  All you need is a new nipple and I would get the hottest one  you can find.