Author Topic: Need help choosing a scope for my 223 bull barreled handi rifle  (Read 486 times)

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
Need help choosing a scope for my 223 bull barreled handi rifle
« on: September 01, 2008, 02:35:23 PM »
I've decided to go with a scope in the 4-18 range.   Here are some of the scopes I am looking at in my price range.  Let me know what you guys think of each.   

Pentax Gameseeker 4-16x50
Mueller APV 4.5-14x40
Bushnell Legend 5-15x40
Bushnell trophy 6-18x40

Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x40
Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x50    These 2 are about $100 more than the scopes above, and more than I wanted to spend, but still possible.

I haven't been able to get a hands on look at the Pentax, Meuller, or legend yet, but still let me know what you guys think.

The pentax has no AO.  This is unusual for a scope of theis magnification.  How much of a problem is it?

Thanks,
Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Re: Need help choosing a scope for my 223 bull barreled handi rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 03:02:52 PM »
Lots of people like the Mueller's, but I've never seen-held-shot one. 

The Gameseeker's seem like a good deal for the money, but on a scope like this, it's got to have a parallax adjustment of some kind, whether it's an AO or side turret.  Shooting at low power would be no big deal, but once you crank it up past 10x, you'll definite need the adjustment.

The Legend has very good glass for what they are asking for them, and the Trophy is one of the best deals out there.  The main difference between them is that the Legend has fully multi-coated lenses (every glass surface) while the Trophy is only multi-coated.  I've used both and like them both.

The Elites are a different league altogether, and they are well worth the extra $$ if you can spend it.  They also have a "bullet proof" warranty as well.  And a 1 year no ?? asked replacement guarantee too.

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 04:05:13 PM »
I checked the gameseeker on the pentax web site, and there is no mention of any paralax adjustment.  I also don't see any indication of it in the pictures.  Seems strange to me.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 11:05:38 AM »
I just put a Swift 4.5-14x44 mil dot on mine. It's very clear and has a good warrenty.
There are a lot of handis on this site with Muellers and bushnells though.
Mueller advertises on our favorite site you know.

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 11:28:41 AM »
Hit some gun shows and find a 3 x 9 Leupold.