Author Topic: Sick model 94  (Read 679 times)

Offline M8ball

• Trade Count: (0)
Sick model 94
« on: August 29, 2008, 08:06:34 PM »
Here's a question for the experienced 94 owners and/or "crusty" gunsmiths.

Got a late 40's vintage hand-me down 94. When I go to cycle the action, the cartridge feeds normally from the tube onto the lifter, but when I bring the lever back and the bolt moves forward, the cartridge seems to "tip" too soon and the bullet nose runs into the top of the chamber, jamming the gun. I found that if I run the lever forward a smidge and then back, the cartridge re-orients itself properly and then feeds smoothly into the chamber. Firing and extraction seem normal.

The problem occurs with both factory loads and handloads. I double-checked COL with both bullet weights available, and that checks out. The speed of the cycling doesn't seem to influence the issue so I don't think it's operator error.

Opinions? I would take this to the ubiquitous "well-qualified gunsmith" other than I haven't had the best experience with the clowns around here.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
Re: Sick model 94
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 10:25:46 PM »
I can't tell you what is going on with your 94 but I can tell you that yours isn't the only one out there that does it. I have seen others. The 94 isn't the only model either. I have a 1873 in 22lr that does the same thing. I would guess nothing but pure wear from years of use maybe.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Tencubed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Sick model 94
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 11:31:09 AM »
No guarantees this will fix the problem but I have seen this corrected by doing a really thorough job of cleaning all the lever and ramp linkage.  A bit of crud sometimes builds up and changes the timing just enough to cause these kinds of problems.  I've had a couple of the lever guns that did this and even after blasting with brake cleaner and air there would be a bit of dried on crud in one of the openings that had to be scraped off to get it removed.  Sometimes it's an opportunity to buy a rifle that has a bad reputation at a reduced cost and sometimes it turns out to be bent or worn linkage.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70