Author Topic: Correct Ammo --- Colt Gold Cup, Series 70  (Read 1529 times)

Offline JHT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Correct Ammo --- Colt Gold Cup, Series 70
« on: August 31, 2008, 11:33:24 PM »
What is the proper ammunition to shoot in the Colt Gold Cup, Series 70?  I know that the pistol comes with a light recoil spring and I do not want to ware the gun prematurely.  Thanks,  JHT
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
Re: Correct Ammo --- Colt Gold Cup, Series 70
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 01:49:41 AM »
The Series 70 Gold Cup will shoot any .45 ACP ammo a standard 1911 will shoot.  The problem isn't the gun, but the Eliason sights, which have a roll pin that has a tendency to shear and a front sight that is staked in, but not as tightly as one would expect.  The front sight can be restaked and the roll pin replaced with a solid pin and you are good to go with heavier than wadcutter loads. 

The Gold Gup, given a heavier spring and a solid pin instead of a roll pin, will handle ball or ball equivalent rounds without undue wear.  I competed with mine using a standard load of a 225 grain truncated cone at a velocity of 850fps for a number of years.  While I wasn't a national champ, I managed to put over 10,000 rounds through it in 3 years and it's still as tight and accurate as the day I bought it.  I still shoot it regularly. 

If you want to shoot it as is, you can easily come up with a nice 180 grain semi-wadcutter load and some Bullseye powder that will shoot accurately and be easy on the gun.  But...well...the thought of a 1911 style handgun shooting wussy loads sort of makes me want to suggest a pink gun case for the range trips ;D

Dan

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 04:01:40 PM »
Dan, your point is well taken 'even without the visual.'  I already have a heftier set of Wolf springs that will suffice for the added recoil of standard loads, all that now has to be done is changing over to a solid pin and I should be set for the range.  Thanks ever so much for your insights into making this pistol ready for heavier loads.  Regards,  JHT
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline Broom Rider

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 11:45:13 AM »
If you install a 16 pound recoil spring it should work well for both reduced target loads and standard ball ammo. The roll pin can be a problem, I've had a few sheer, and a few that just keep on going. Best suggestion is to call Colt and ask them for the solid pin. They'll send a solid pin that has a slight bend in the center which will help it to stay in place once installed.
While you're replacing things, put a new Wolf firing pin spring in.
Remember that if you remove the sear there is probably still a couple extra parts (spring/lever) in there to content with and they're a real pain to reinstall.
Series 70 GCNM doesn't have the lightened slide the earlier ones did so with proper springs you should have many many years of enjoyment with that Colt.
Lynnie, NRA Life Member