Author Topic: Bore Sighting A Muzzleloading Cannon  (Read 2676 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Bore Sighting A Muzzleloading Cannon
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2008, 11:06:20 AM »
William use to include as a free giveaway in his cannon s plans a simple home made bore sighter similar to 49'ers.  49er also makes a pretty neat tampion...thank you much sir!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2008, 12:06:45 PM »
Excellent way to do it!

Sometimes we overlook the very simple ways to do things.

On a different level, what about using a colometer?  We used them in 'laying' the battery - sighting in by looking through the sight at a colometer which would reflect back the alignment.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2008, 12:44:23 PM »
     If you want to see what the heck Tim is talking about take a look at this; there is a section on eliminating bore sighting error.  http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/6-50/Ch4.htm   FYI,  M&T
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2008, 02:47:42 PM »
     If you want to see what the heck Tim is talking about take a look at this; there is a section on eliminating bore sighting error.  http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/6-50/Ch4.htm   FYI,  M&T

BINGO - and let me correct the spelling of the device "collimater".  One uses the M2 aimlng circle (a compact transit) or the sight on the cannon itself to look into (at some distance) the collimater to verify the alignment and re-verify the position (especially after firing).

Thanks for digging that FM out - good memories from several decades ago.  (And for those of you who paid their taxes back then, I want to personnally thank you for all the cannon shells I fired back in 1972 at Ft. Sill.)

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2008, 08:10:24 PM »
Sorry George, no programmers need apply; all we have is manual lathes and mills here.

Presumably this was directed at me, but all I have is manual machines, too, although I have done CNC programs for Bridgeports in the past and have considered getting a Haas TM-1 or TM-2.  My programming job is with mainframe computers.  :-)
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2008, 08:22:18 AM »
     Yes, that was directed at you.  Mike and I met so many sharp guys who were programmers while working in Aerospace, that we though perhaps you did some job shop work.  As far as Haas computer driven machines go, Mike and I know that we will never be able to afford even a small one, but we still make a pilgrimage down to the Haas dealer once a year to see what's new.  The contrast between the old files and the new computers is stark, but we have found both to be important in the modern machine shop.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2008, 10:22:22 AM »
However, if you are really good at selecting, using and caring for files, ...

When I first read that, I thought you were referring to computer files; now I see otherwise.  I do have a fair collection of files (of the cutting variety), although I doubt you would be impressed with the care with which I store them.    ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2008, 06:14:04 AM »
The finest, most affordable milling machine ever made is by Nicholson.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2008, 05:59:47 AM »
Humm laser cannon . What if you just shot the first shot up close into a piece of paper ,and move back .

Laser cannon...Takes me back to "The Millinium Volkswagon"  :o. No laser cannon it was armed with an old oilcan mortar . Sorry for a slight hijack , M&T
rocklock

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2008, 06:42:35 AM »
It might seem as if I'd forgotten about this topic, after I played a part in getting it started. Not so, I simply hit a snag.

Wal-Mart had laser boresighters on the  shelf, until I went to get one. Then they were suddenly sold out (happens to me a lot).

After being assured that they would have more "next week" for over a month, I finally got one yesterday. It wasn't the $39 Simmons they had before, it was a $42 Laserlyte. But hey, that's the way it goes at Wally World.

(click on the photo for a larger version)

Use this link to got to the product page at Laserlyte's website. The one on their site is black, mine is red (a "Wal-Mart Exclusive"), but otherwise they are identical.

I'd briefly considered making an adapter that would screw onto the small laser that I already have, and using that one as a boresight. But two things stopped me. First, it's not really a very good laser. It doesn't have a sharp 'dot' even at close range. At boresighting distance, the dot would be very ragged and blurry. Second, and most importantly, it had already been mounted and re-aimed a couple of times before this project. And any tiny movement of the adjustment screws makes a huge difference in POA. Getting it recalibrated to point accurately along the centerline at any distance, while not impossible, would be difficult and time consuming. The Laserlyte is factory-calibrated.

Also, the adapter for the Laserlyte unit will be easier to make. All it really needs is a reduced bore (between .22" and .50") that will be concentric with the bore of the cannon.

So now I need an adapter. Hopefully this won't require another month...

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2008, 08:19:53 PM »
Thats theone I've got .,I am happy with it !

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2008, 03:52:06 PM »
I made this yesterday, but it was so late when I finally got settled at home that I waited until today to photograph it.

After failing to find a solid piece of aluminum of sufficient diameter, I came across this piece while rummaging through my junk box. Not exactly sure what it was, a part of some sort of diesel mechanic tool is all I know for sure. It's aluminum, hollow, and originally had a small aluminium tube threaded into the tapered end.

I machined the outside for a slip fit into the bore of the gun, bored the open end concentric to the OD, and opened up the tapered end just enough to remove the threads.

The stopper is an item that we use in our shop. It's a fairly hard nitrile rubber and we have several sizes so I was able to find one that was a perfect fit in the adapter.

The hole in the center of the stopper (where a plastic plug would fit) centers the small end of the laser stem. The .22 caliber bushing is a good snug fit in the stopper hole.

It's all much simpler than it sounds...

(you can click on any of the images for a larger version)

I have tomorrow to take it outside and get the scope boresighted. After that, we'll have to see what Hanna does. I have a feeling that this one is going to affect a bunch of us.