Author Topic: .45-70 Shooting Good / Lead Question  (Read 348 times)

Offline tikipirate

• Trade Count: (0)
.45-70 Shooting Good / Lead Question
« on: September 04, 2008, 04:53:54 PM »
If any of you remember, my last couple posts were about accuracy problems with my 45-70. I 'm happy to report that as suggested in the FAQ, I used JB on my barrel (and switched from RX7 to IMR3031)  and was able to shrink the groups considerably. Ive got a real shooter now. (Thanks guys!)

I would like some input on something I noticed. I shoot on a short range, and have to figure out the ballistics for how high I need to be to be dead on at say 100yds. Tonight I was spot with all my jacketed rounds, however I did load up 6 500gr Lyman #475125. They shot well, no problem with the throat I could tell but they shot low. Like they were supposed to be 3" high above center and were 1" to .5" low of center. Short barrel cause this? Real head scratcher.  

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: .45-70 Shooting Good / Lead Question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 01:17:24 AM »
If the velocity of the lead bullets is somewhat  higher, they will shoot low.  If the velocity of the lead bullets is a lot less they will shoot low.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~