Author Topic: Handi or Bolt?  (Read 2105 times)

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Re: Handi or Bolt?
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2008, 07:07:32 AM »
I wish I could afford $2800 for a half or quarter inch on a target.  I think if I had it to spare, I would give it to a neighbor that needed it and miss by a half inch.
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2008, 08:04:08 AM »
I agree, I'd rather put 1500.00 in my kids college fund than have that 1/4" better group... eh... who am I kidding... I'll get it anyway in my handi ;)
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2008, 09:54:24 AM »
what i just said wwas uncalled for , let me corret myself , my wife and daughter have everything they want and if i have the money to spend its my call.

BTW i make my living by being able to kill ppl at long range , so spending a few grand to make sure daddy comes home alive in 4 months is worth it to me , have the rifles that let me train when ever i want makes me better at what i do , i've got 11 months down and not one guy in my plt has died yet so it sounds like money well spent
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline mitchell

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2008, 09:56:44 AM »
thanks for the delete quick i had a bad day and i'm a little short right now

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2008, 09:59:58 AM »
Stuff happens Mitch, keep up the good work over there, but CYA, everyone wants you to come home safe, with all pieces intact!!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mitchell

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2008, 10:09:21 AM »
thanks man, just 4 more months ,i had a close one again today an ied went off right infront of my truck. missed me be but still scary

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 10:13:24 AM »
Ya can't be too careful over there!

Tim

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2008, 11:16:43 AM »
Nothing wrong with spending big money on a gun. I cant do it, but to each is own. Its hard to bash a handi,
Ive owned a bunch & I would be comfortable hunting with all of them. especially from a tree stand. Depending on how your set up. some times a bolt feels to long while shooting out of a treestand. JMO.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2008, 12:29:43 PM »
Mitch, I'm sorry....I didn't know what you were doing.  I'd send you the $2800. to spend on weapons if I thought it would keep you and your guys alive.  I wish I were 30 years younger and I'd be there with you. No, forget about the 30 years, I'd just like to be there, the wife would just have to grin and bear it.
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2008, 06:33:06 AM »
What service branch are you in mitch?
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline mitchell

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2008, 10:52:35 AM »
i'm in the cavalry!!!! (aka the us army) i'm a cav scout in the 3rd acr and right now i'm just south of mosul. now before i give people the wring idea i'm not a sniper my school date fell too close to deploying and i got stop loss (can't go to schools) so i just became " PLT marskman" but i pack a m24 or m14 most of the time so go figure , my troop only has one sniper so i get used a lot

Offline jdwolf

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2008, 12:07:31 PM »
Just curious as to why you would choose the .204 over the .223?  Also, if you have a .22-250 why do you want another varmit rifle?

I love NEF products, but I won't own a Handi in a rimless cartridge.
  I've heard others say they wouldn't own a Handi in a rimless cartridge.  My question is why?  My 223 Handi is a tack driver. 
Help support concealed carry in Illinois,  show your support.  http://www.cafepress.com/sicc

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2008, 12:25:37 PM »
Mostly because of sticking brass which is a moot point with extractors which are used on all current and recent(since ~2006) production centerfire rifle barrels. The other point is rimmed cartridges are all lower pressure rounds for the most part, which are better suited in the Handi action, not necessarily limited to, but they function better at top pressures within the cartridge's limits, high pressure rimless rounds can cause issues when loading max/near max loads.

Tim

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2008, 02:16:20 PM »
What quickdtoo said and some of them seem to have headspacing problems with factory ammo(example .35 Whelan and the 7.62X39.)
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2008, 05:21:30 PM »
Unfortunately, the only H&R I've had a headspace issue with is the SS 45-70, a rimmed cartridge!! ::)

Tim

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2008, 12:14:41 AM »
Hello, I am new here and I understand this is Handi country, but I have a few questions.  I have 4 bolt action guns in 30-06, 22-250, 17HMR, and .22LR.  I am looking at getting a new gun.  I am just don't know if I go with a bolt or a H&R.  I am looking at .204, and when I talk to others, they say go with the bolt for better accuracy, faster reload, and easier to shoot off a bench.  I just what to hear from H&R users what the gun is like shooting off a bench.  Is it a pain to pick up and reload and then settle back in?  Is it able to shoot 250-300 yards like a bolt?  How much slower is the reload time compared to the bolt action rifle?  I am on a limited budget and want the best product for the money.  I just need advice as to which road to take.  Stay with the bolts that I know and trust, or try something new and get a single shot.  Lastly, I just want to point out, that my main goal for the gun it to target shoot and play with.  Thanks

I too have a number of firearms. From multi thousands of dollar custom stuff or old rickety junkers. Based on what I read from you, I will have to suggest you go with the Handi.

Personally I have been intrigued with the Savage m 40 and the other newer one available in R204 as well. These too are single shots AND bolt actions. Cost doesn't seem bad, but they are more than handis.

IMHO, For a plain simple gun that works and shoots well and is of little cost to buy and shoot, the Handi fits your bill best.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2008, 03:23:15 AM »
Keep up the good work Mitchell :)  Were you going to get out of the military before the Stop Loss?

Offline mitchell

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2008, 09:57:30 AM »
hell no i just reuped about a week ago i got 6 more years now. when a unit gets ready to deploy( 90 days out) they enter stop loss/ stop movment during that time you cannot PCS , ETS or go to schools , i missed my school by 9 days. i don't really care either way being a "sniper " is just a name , the biggest reason i want to go is to help me make points . but my LT did say he's going to send me when i get back if he can get a slot

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2008, 04:00:59 AM »
I got ya :)  Hope sniper school works out for ya... I know its just a name, but still... :)

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2008, 04:12:40 AM »
ok let me just start out by saying that i don't even know how many handis i have loss count a long time ago, but i will also say when ever i need to thread a needle my handis stay home, i've never won a competition with a handi (besides the ones on here) . all my handis will shoot 1/2 moa every time i take them out , my 204 shoots in the .2's but all of my handis took work to get them that good. i'm a bolt gun fan for shooting off a bench or long range hunting. but for just an other day in the woods my handis get the call every time. i have three different handis that have shot groups in the .2's and better but if all you want is straight up freaking accuracy get a bolt gun, because you can put a lot more upgrades on them then you ever will a handi. small shot groups aren't cheap i have over $3000 in one of my custom guns but it shoots better then i can (really it does i can't seam to shoot a group under .1 but i know the gun can) but at the same time i have handis that shoot in the .2's that i only paid $200 for , so make your own decision , if your on a budget i would go for the handi if you just want a kick butt rifle build one.

This is about as good a summation of the comparison as I have seen & this is from someone who gets far more out of
a Handi than you could reasonably expect."So make your own decision, if your on a budget I would go for the Handi,
if you want a kick butt rifle build one."     Yes indeed & I would add another 2 thoughts.

I expect & get more consistancy in the field with a properly set up bolt gun than from any Handi no matter how it is set up. I may use a bipod at times, tight sling, shooting sticks, use a tree for a rest from the side, whatever it takes. These things put different stresses on the forearm & harmonics in general, which affects a Handi a heck of alot more than a properly bedded & floated bolt rifle in particular.

In the way of durability, again no contest. I do hunt close to home at times with a Handi, for animals such as Whitetails that are not "make or break hunts". But there is no way that I would spend alot of dollars for an out of state hunt & then rely on a Handi only. The chance of something breaking or a failure of some type can sure happen with the best bolt gun, but the chance is far higher with a Handi.

No contest really.   
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.