Author Topic: SB2-044 Hard to Open  (Read 859 times)

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
SB2-044 Hard to Open
« on: September 01, 2008, 01:10:01 PM »
 Went out today to fire a little. Took my SB2 044. Shooting Fiochi 44 magnum SJSP 240 gr. Every other shot action was hard to open. Worked it with out a shell and it was fine. Only happened after firing. I looked at the used shells, they had a slight bulge above the rim(is that normal?)

Or am I just being dumb and missed something?

Thanks for your help.

Lonny

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: SB2-044 Hard to Open
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 01:21:31 PM »
If the action is hard to open and the brass is hard to remove from the chamber, it could be a dirty/oily chamber or dirty/oily brass. The bulge just in front of the case head has been reported before, a chamber cast would tell you if the chamber is oversized, it could still be in spec tho. The brass may also be at fault, dunno what they use for that stuff, I've shot Hornady ammo in mine with no problems, from your previous posts, I think you have a new accessory barrel which was made by Marlin, but they may have goobered it, the chamber cast would tell all, chamber casting is covered in the FAQs, but I'd recommend trying some different ammo first.  ;)

tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 04:52:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Qickdtoo

I could remove the casings like normal. I will try some Winchester in the next couple days. Will let you know if it was the same or opened correctly. I will also check and re-clean the chamber.

I was looking for an accessory barrel for the SB1. I ended up buying the complete gun new in box.

Will also read up on chamber casting.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 04:55:15 PM »
What's the second letter of the serial number prefix on the left side of the frame?

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 01:48:28 AM »
 Just checked Ser# HX.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 03:49:33 AM »
The slight buldge above the rim is normal, you will most likely find the brass is slightly undersized, probably a little short also, so a proper SAAMI chamber will cause it to have a little buldge in it.  Both my 30 Carbine and 32 H&R Mag reamer cut a chamber that is about .010 larger than factory brass.  Hard to open is generally when the brass streches and is tight against the breach which tightens up the rifle tighter than just closing it.  Probably when the latch shelf and latch sort of wear in to fit each other things will get better.  The rims are usiually a little thin also which gives you more headspace, check how far a round chambered is below flush with the breach, you may have to remove the extractor to test this, any more than about .006-.007 is too much.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 04:39:54 PM »
I did a check today and this is what I found with the 32 H&R Mag specs:  SAAMI case diameter is .337 straight, no taper, this would make a nice chamber with a .340 reamer, but, the real dimensions of new Federal rounds is .331 at the case mouth and .330 at the head.  This get .010 around the case instead of .003 to .004 (thus the visiable buldge).  I would suspect the .44 is the same, all of the 30 Carbine I have works out this way also.  Someone with some new .44 factory loads should measure them and compare it with the SAAMI Specs just for grins.  This all seals up well and does not seem to be a problem, but it seems the factory is on the very small size of spec.  The rim thickness is given as .055, but actucal is .0495 on mine, so if the chamber is cut for .003 head space for a SAAMI spec round you have .008 in real life which is too much.  When I do the 32 H&R barrels I cut the rim seperate and make it .051 deep so in real life you have .002-.003 head space and not .008.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 01:41:14 AM »
 Thanks Larry.

I don't have a way to do the measuring. I will take a couple rounds and the barrel to work, and see if I can find  someone who does. We have a boat load of hunters and gun enthusiast at work, so I should be able to get the measurements and post them tonight or in the morning.
Lonny

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 02:58:36 PM »
I looked up the SAAMI specs on the 44, rim thickness .060, case is .001 taper from .457 to .456 at the case mouth.  A factory barrel must be cut to allow this to chamber, so any smaller brass will grow to fit (except for the rim thickness).  Let us know what you find with the factory ammo measurements.  Larry

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 07:09:12 PM »
I also have an HX (2007) that came with a 44 Mag Barrel. Mine is an extractor not an ejector. I have had no extraction problems at all with warm hand loads (not hot) with 240 jacketed and 265 GC cast bullets + Some Winchester 240 Jacketed Soft Points white box. I just checked the Winchesters and they have the bulge you are talking about and there is considerable powder streaking down the sides of the cases. They were shooting right at 1800 fps so they are right near the top for pressure, so it must be an over sized chamber causing it. My hand loads were disappointing, but the Winchesters shot fairly decently. 2 shots touching with the third < 1" away at 50 yards. From one group to the next, I was getting a shift - going to double check the mount and rings before next shooting session. Good Luck and Good Shooting

I would not worry too much about an over sized chamber. I think it is the ammo you are using. I would check out another brand before I got too excited.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 12:15:25 PM »
 My problem is opening the barrel. or I guess braking the barrel open from the breech, after a shot. The round extracted fine. I was using the Fiochi 240. The round prior to shooting measures .450 around the case. The chamber measures .460.

I do have some Winchester in the white box. I have not had time yet to try it.

I have not checked the headspace yet.
Thanks
Lonny

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 02:36:22 PM »
The chamber size is correct for a .457 case, problem is they are .450.  Is the latch release hard to push down or is the barrel just hard to open after it is released?  Larry

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 11:04:46 PM »
The release is easy, like my other barrels. It is just hard to to push down.
Lonny

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 03:40:59 AM »
You may want to check to see if the fireing pin spring is good, if they break the fireing pin can stay out and hold the barrel closed by sticking in the primer.  Larry

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 09:55:57 PM »
 Did check the pin. It appears ok. Plus now it is acting up even when not loaded? I just bought a used .270 barrel for this one. I will stick it on and see if it does it.

Thanks for your help.
Lonny

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 11:01:21 PM »
 Ok, just tryed my .270 barrel and an old 12 guage barrel. They both open easy. Tight lock up. Reinstalled the .44 and it is hard to open, tight lock up. This is with out firing. Neighbors would get upset firing at 5am ;D

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 12:12:01 AM »
I would go back and read the FAQ on barrel fitting. Its easier than my retyping here at 6AM.  ::) ;D

But seriously, check the barrel release, it should have "loose" like it could still move up higher, yet the barrel is locked up nicely. If you could envision the latch the lever is somewhere around 1/2 - 3/4 way up its movement. Its is explained better in the FAQ's.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 12:40:45 AM »
Ok now I am really confused. I just put the .44 barrel back on to check the release button. It opens perfectly ???

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 10:42:53 PM »
 This rifle has the plastic stock and forearm. Is it possible that maybe I didnt have the forearm tight enough and it was putting extra pressure on the reciever?

Lonny