Author Topic: Hello Getting .223 Ultra for Class Ring  (Read 759 times)

Offline Kyle Hawkins

• Trade Count: (0)
Hello Getting .223 Ultra for Class Ring
« on: September 07, 2008, 08:01:11 AM »
Hello,

Well im new here and i was told to come here for all the knowledge that this forum had for the H&R. The title says it all, instead of getting a class ring i am getting a firearm. I have basically decided on the H&R Ultra Varmint in .223, i will most likely put a BSA Contender scope on it.

But what i would like to know is..

I have read about alot of accuracy problems? And having to polish a barrel? I dont know what this is but i understand that you have to shoot about 100rds. to break in the barrel?

And will i have to worry about the action breakin open when i fire the gun?

I would be gettin a new gun so what is my rate of twist? will this really throw off my accuracy? And is it that picky about what kind of ammo it likes?

So basically im afaraid of getting this gun, because i have read about all the problems. Are these easy to fix, or are these all just break in things? Are the pros better than the cons?

Overall will you just tell me if you have this gun.. do you like it, have you ever had any problems at all, did the accuracy get better after a break in period, is it worth it?

Thank you so much.
Kyle

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
Re: Hello Getting .223 Ultra for Class Ring
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 08:05:17 AM »
I wanna say it, I wanna say it!!   ;D

Check out the FAQ section, It should have all of the answers to your questions. 

Welcome to the group!!
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kyle Hawkins

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 08:06:13 AM »
ok thanks, but is there anything on just this rifle?

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 09:10:14 AM »
I think it's unlikely you'll have any problems at all.  I never have.  Just clean the barrel when you first get it, and shoot it as much as you like.  I'd just get some cheap Remington-UMC ammo from Walmart at first.  If you get the really cheap stuff made overseas, you might have some issues.

People try to make this complicated.  It isn't.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 09:42:20 AM »
i have that exact same gun and i've never had any problems i use the federal 200 round bulk pack that you buy at walmart works great on coyotes.
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline jdwolf

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 10:17:38 AM »
I have a 223 Handi with black synth stock and standard contour barrel.  I bought it new.  I cleaned the bore before I shot it and that's it.  I've never had any problems with it and it's very accurate.   ;D
Help support concealed carry in Illinois,  show your support.  http://www.cafepress.com/sicc

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 10:44:29 AM »
I have the 22" bull barrel model and have put over 3000 rounds of ammo down the tube without the first hic-up .

I got the rifle home , gave it a real good cleaning and started shooting . the first 80 rounds were the Remington 40 round bulk pac's in 55 grain JHPs , form the 2nd group it was shooting 3/4" for 3 shots if that tells you anything .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 12:43:41 PM »
I have never had a bit of trouble with my bull barrel 223. I shoot mostly the cheap Wal Mart UMC stuff and it shoots great.
I've never had a misfire, stuck case, anything at all wrong!!
All I did was take it apart and clean it when I first got it and shoot it. I've probably put close to 400 rounds through it so far.
Don't hesitate to get one, they are good guns and you can find ammo anywhere.

Spanky

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 01:00:27 PM »
I have one in bull barrel and a standard contour, they both shoot great with loads I've worked up for them. 1/2-3/4 inch all the time. I'd say go for it, and who knows you may become a haniholic  :D Just ask Quickdtoo as I think he now has 43 or so  :o
Oh and a big welcome to G.B.O. to you, you will get all the help you need!!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 07:53:40 PM »
You have been reading and listening to those who don't know !!! You are now in the right place to find out the truth. Welcome aboard. As has been said read the faq's most of the answers you seek are there . I have the Ultra varmint 223 also I reload so it shoots very tiny groups. But they also shoot factory very well stay in the 55gr range and away from the very cheap surplus ammo UMC is ok also Black Hills reloads are fine. Polish the bore when you first get it and are cleaning it for the first time it's easy. The whole procedure is in the faq's and it ain't rocket science. Also read the owners manual before you shoot it. Read the FAQ's. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline JonnyC

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 12:40:32 AM »
Good choice in getting the firearm instead of a class ring. I had the choice of a stereo or a Browning over and under back in the 60's. I chose the Browning. I don't think I would be using the stereo much these days  ;D I also have the .223 and it shoots under an inch group at 100yds. with reloads. I think you may be confused with the .243 barrel which can be finicky.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Offline Kyle Hawkins

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 01:02:03 AM »
Wow,
     thanks everyone for all the replys this deffinately is the right place to ask any H&R question. And this has been the best for people replying and not just getting mad and saying im a newb.

thank you,
kyle

Offline ShooterSATX

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 07:44:47 AM »
Kyle,

I bought my H&R Ultra Varmint 2 in .223 about 4 months ago. I took it out to the range and was disappointed with it...then I discovered this site. My eyes were opened!

Listen to the old brown shoes here for they are very wise. Kind of like my dad used to tell me...he'd say "son, the older you get, the smarter I was". SO true.

I will not use the Remmi UMC Crap again...too dirty for me. The bulk stuff at Wally World I only use to dirty my barrel. My rifle loves the Black Hills stuff...I consistantly shoot sub 1/2-inch groups at 100 yds (3-shot). I have put a few ragged holes on paper already.

The twist rate on my Handi is 1:9...fast so, don't feel bad when the 55 grainers are splattering all over.

Most of all, I was told not to expect any good groups until you get at least 100 rounds down the pipe (to take the rough edges off the rifling)...so true!!!

Keep us updated!

Shooter

Oh yeah, I have a BSA 6-24X40 scope mounted on mine...and I love it!

Offline Kyle Hawkins

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 03:44:35 PM »
Ok... THANKS. i have been doing more reading than i would for a test haha..

so i want this to be a gun that i keep forever and i want it to be a gun that i take really good care of to keep it nice and make it a great shooter. So far i have found out quite a few things that i should do and i ask if i can basically run them by yall and see if you think they are the good ideas and the basics...

1. Poilish the barrel with jb paste, get a carbon rod so i dont hurt rifling, good cleaning jag, lots of patches.
2. Buy some .223 ammo and not 5.56mm nato due to pressure and not ejecting?
3. Buy BSA Platinum scope, this is the scop i picked out so im pretty much just asking if anyone has any experience with it.http://www.bsaoptics.com/scope.aspx?product=64
4. Put an o-ring on the front lug to free float the barrel?
5. Are there any steps tha i have missed from the FAQ or from anywhere else that are of any importance?

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 03:49:52 PM »
Read the owners manual when you buy it. Not after you have a problem. I shoot the BlackHills stuff when I get lazy and don't feel like reloading. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline JPShelton

• Contributor
Re: My .223 Handi Experience
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 10:10:40 PM »
I don't have an Ultra version, but my Handi-Rifle in .223 has a 1:9 twist barrel and it delivers its best groups with bullets in the 60 to 69 grain range.  Mine doesn't shoot 55 grain loads very well in comparison, and it especially dislikes the Remington / UMC 55 grain FMJ stuff that Wal-Mart sells.

I envy those who have Handi-Rifles that DO shoot that Remington / UMC load acceptably well, because it is cheap and plentiful at my local Wal-Mart.

But I'm not complaining, because I wanted good accuracy with 60 to 69 grain bullets anyhow, so I got what I wanted in my Handi-Rifle.

YMMV and all of that, but if yours doesn't shoot 55 grain loads well when you get it, you might find, as I did, that it likes a wee bit heavier bullets.

-JP

Offline Kyle Hawkins

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 12:59:52 AM »
Ya.. but what i was trying to get to was..

should i poilish the bore with jb paste and try to do the chamber?

And should i buy a diff cleaning rod like a carbon fiber or something cuz i heard that metal ones mess your rifling?

And should i do the oring trick to the forearm that the FAQ talks about

Offline Kyle Hawkins

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 01:03:17 AM »
Now that the thread is bumped hopefully someone will read this part,
I want this to be my first gun that i do everything right with. So what all exactly should i buy to do this.

I plan on getting
1. BSA Platinum scope
2. Tipton carbon cleaning rod, good brass jag
3. what kind of gun cleaner?
4. only .223 rem ammo

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 05:19:10 AM »
While the Tipton carbon fiber rods are really nice and my favorite, a more important point is to use a one piece rod with a rod guide to center the rod in the bore, use a rod appropriate for the bore size to limit flex, bore/rod guides are discussed in the FAQs. I use Kleenbore muzzle guards on my carbon fiber rods cleaning from the chamber end, I cut a flat spot on the guard that allows it to fit centered perfectly in the chamber mouth above the ejector/extractor. Sinclair also sells rod guides specific for H&Rs as well as TC guides that can be modified to work, but they're pretty much cartridge specific and about $10 each. :-\

Most shooters that have used any of the foaming cleaners have switched to it because it works so well for routine cleaning without even using a brush, just foam it and leave it for a while and let it disolve the fouling instead of spending considerable time running a brush back and forth in the bore. I've found that used in combination with a good carbon cleaner(Hoppe's Elite Cleaner for me), it works extremely well. 

http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

I'm not keen on BSA products, although I do have one on a heavy spring airgun that has served me well. The only other one I had was a red dot that fogged up on the inside of the lenses the first time I used it in the rain. :-\  One scope that is universally recommended for the 223 is the Mueller APV, I've not seen a complaint on one yet other than a couple that were replaced by Mueller for defects, out of the thousands that have been sold, this speaks highly of the scope and Mueller.

http://www.eabco.com/MuellerAPV.htm

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,121737.msg1098413929.html#msg1098413929
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain