Author Topic: Sights/Scope on 45-70  (Read 520 times)

Offline tonygrz

• Trade Count: (1)
Sights/Scope on 45-70
« on: September 10, 2008, 04:55:57 PM »
Hi,

I recently purchased a 45-70 handi.  It's NOT the buffalo classic.  It has regular rifle sights.  I was planning on putting a 2.5X scope on it but it didn't work out.  I purchased the weaver #82 base and the rings are too far apart for the scope to properly fit.  I then purchased a regular sized 4X scope and the scope it too far ahead.  I have to really crawl the stock to get a good sight pic.  So I decided to go with just open sites.

I saw on the handi sight that the buffalo classic has a Williams peep sight.  Will one fit on my style of handi???  Will the Williams site screw into the last two holes for a scope base ??? 

Thanks for all the great advice and info.  I have four handi's now and maybe one or two more left to go.

Tony Garza
tonygrz
Life is great, don't screw it up with WORK !!!

Offline tonygrz

Re: Sights/Scope on 45-70
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 05:01:05 PM »
Sorry to bother you again.  I found the Williams sight site and saw where the peep sites for a handi are over $86 plus shipping.  I'll find a way to mount a scope on this baby even if I have to cut new slots on the existing weaver base I have.  Their price seems a little high.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 07:13:38 PM »
Tony, why don't you just get an H&R scope rail or one of the other nice mounts shown in the FAQs, look for the pics, they're hard to miss if you check out the entire page!! ;)

The Williams WGRS(BC sight) sold for $18 from H&R, I suspect it's more from Remington now, but it isn't $86, see Peep and Firesights in the FAQs for links to all of the Williams sights that work on all H&R rifles.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 12:17:49 AM »
Go to CDNN Sports .com  and click on the scopes and red dots in the menue.Then click on the Simmons scopes. They have a 2.5 power shotgun scope for $19.99 that works great on the 45-70,even under the recoil of the heavy loads I shoot.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 01:28:29 AM »
This Nikon Prostaff 2.5-7X32 works perfectly on my .45-70 Handi.  That's the NEF base and Weaver high rings.  With a peep I can hit a coffee can at 100 yards every time.  With a scope I can hit an empty 12 gauge hull.

"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 01:35:49 AM »
So put new grooves in the base already!  It's not a big deal, I've had to do it several times.  Touch it up with a black magic marker.

Offline tonygrz

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 05:00:49 AM »
I don't know about me.  All those great FAQs and me, not reading them.  I think I have an appointment next week on my day planner on learning how to read !!  (this is where everyone starts laughing).  I found the brownell's sight and the scope base and trigger extension kit with five scope ring slots.  What a concept - reading the entire page.  They were very friendly at Brownell's and now that I have an account established there, they'll get a lot of my business.

Thanks quickdtoo for all the great advice.  Someone has to keep us in line.

Tony Garza
tonygrZ