Author Topic: Bushnell Customer Serivce...anyone use it lately???  (Read 414 times)

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Bushnell Customer Serivce...anyone use it lately???
« on: September 12, 2008, 05:43:15 AM »
I was out shooting on Wednesday and my Elite 3200 2-7x32 that's on my Remington 7400 30-06 changes point of impact when I zoom the power ring.  Last time I shot this gun was last deer season. The POI was shifting a tiny bit during shooting sessions when I went from 2x up to 7x, but I never gave it much thought, I figured it was just me and my shakes at 7x.  But when I shot it at the range Weds. , POI went from 2" high at 100yds (my zero) to 10" high and 4" left went I went to 7x.  Off the bench.   :-\  Shot a couple of groups at other powers to comfirm the shift.  It gradually gets worse as I go from 2x to 7x.  Just wondering if anyones had good/bad service from the repair department at Bushnell.  I'm going to send it off this weekend.

That POI changes explains a horrible shot I made last year on a doe at around 85yds.  It was offhand, quartering to the right a bit.  I held to put it low in the ribs angling forward, and the shot hit smack in the middle of the right rear ham.   >:(  I felt horrible about the shot, and couldn't believe that I muffed it that bad.  I'm not the best offhand shooter, but I can generally keep them centered in an 8" target at 100 yds, so I'm confident enough to take offhand shots that far.

When the doe came out, it there wasn't much light left, and she was still in a brushy area, so I zoomed it up to 7x to have a better picture to see if there were any obstacles between us, where she was standing.  At the shot, she dropped straight down, I figured it was a bang-flop, until I got up to here and saw the mess I'd made.  A quick head shot ended the suffering, but I still feel bad about it.

This the 4th variable scope in the last two years that's had issues internally, with either the adjustments or the POI changing with the power.  One Elite, one Trophy, one Nikon, and one Simmons.  The Trophy was the cheapest of the bunch (it had also been on 7 different guns and probably 4000 rounds with several different zero's, so I forgive that one).  I've had the POI problems in the past with other brands including Leupold and Burris, but none were severe enought to affect my shooting.

I've always been a fan of fixed power scopes, and now I'm an even bigger fan as I get older.  I've never had any issues with any fixed power scope I've owned, from cheap stuff up to ones costing $300 or more.  I can see most of my variables getting traded or sold for fixed power ones in the near future.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: Bushnell Customer Serivce...anyone use it lately???
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 10:48:08 AM »
I had a Bushnell 6-24x40 Banner a couple years back that would also change POI when you changed the power setting. It was as much as 3 inches at 100 yards. I figured that it was just because it was a cheap scope. I would not expect that to happen with their 3200, 4200, or their 6500 scopes. I would send it back and hope they make it right. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
Re: Bushnell Customer Serivce...anyone use it lately???
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 11:28:35 AM »
I have an older Simmons that did the same thing from day One. I suppose you could set up the scope at one specific power and don't change it when hunting.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.