Author Topic: Illnesses from Ticks and other Bugs  (Read 706 times)

Offline Trendy411

• Trade Count: (0)
Illnesses from Ticks and other Bugs
« on: August 15, 2008, 07:29:45 PM »
Although this post may not fit into this particular discussion, I am discussing what may be very important as people start to enter the woods for what ever reasons this coming up season. The question is how many people have or know someone who has gotten an illness from ticks or any other bugs. Please let us know what kind of bug it was and what the illness from it was, and if possible what environment it was such as just back yard garden or deep woods. For those that actually have gone deep into the woods, if you picked up ticks/ bugs how many were you able to find on your body and whether or not you gotten ill. I will post this in other discussions to reach the greatest number of users. I understand that this may be getting into privacy issues but I think it would be very informative and educational for myself and others. Thanks.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Illnesses from Ticks and other Bugs
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 01:53:10 AM »
Trendy:  I don't think it really matters if it is your back yard or woods that are only half deep, if there is something there that likes the way you taste it'll gitcha unless you take defensive measures....

I would get up on your state's Conservation Dept. website to look for county by county reports on Lyme Disease (deer ticks), Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (caused by Rocky Mtn Spotted ticks), and the incidence and reported locations of different Spider bites (some can be very painful and debilitating such as the Brown Recluse Spider bites) and others.  Mosquitos used to carry Malaria and may carry other illnesses as well. 

Some common defensive measures are insect repellant sprays or even dryer sheets.  Even then you have to check children and pets, as well as yourself for ticks before they get into you.  Pets can benefit from medications such as Advantix.  I've pulled ticks off myself and my pets - most are just Pine ticks but thye will get into you just as quickly as Deer ticks. 

I would first check with your Conservation Dept., then your county Health Dept and even your state Health Dept, and your Veterinarian (they know what the prevalence is of Lyme Disease in pets) - they might know which areas to avoid due to higher rates of diseases.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 06:14:24 AM »
I no longer worry about ticks and other biters, Permethrin treated outer clothing takes care of the little pests real quick before they can bite ya and cause harm.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,117510.msg1098382939.html#msg1098382939

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,123353.msg1098427611.html#msg1098427611
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 07:15:18 AM »
+ 1 on Permethrin treated clothing. I also carry along a thermocell (uses permerins) for backup but have forgotten to use it and the treated clothing sufficed just fine. I no longer use DEET products at all. I also spray my permanent camp area at my hunt club every three weeks with .05% permethrin and it cuts down most biting critters by 99%. I use it on my dogs and cattle as well for biting flies, fleas, ticks, etc.
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline BUTCHER45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 07:40:49 PM »
     I'm told fleas carry, and can transmit to humans, the Bubonic Plague.  The same plague that is killing off P-dogs all over.
click here for.45caliberAirgun slideshow

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 06:06:43 AM »
You are told correctly.  Don't cuddle with prairie dogs.