Author Topic: LH youth 22 hard to find got 1 finally 10/22  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
LH youth 22 hard to find got 1 finally 10/22
« on: September 23, 2008, 08:50:01 PM »
My little guy (7) is left eye dominant even though he's right handed. So I have him shooting his Chipmunk left handed.  He's ok with it and actually hits the target now that I figured out his eye dominance.

But, I'd like to find him a bigger youth or even adult LH 22lr for later.  I found one youth Savage MKII on Guns America but it disappeared before I could arrange something with a local dealer.

How many does Savage make in a run and are there better sources?

As hard as some of these guns are to find I'm tempted to collect a couple LH guns for my boy if/when opportunity presents.

Maybe a 22LR, .223 or .243, and 308 or 30-06.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline kodiakemt

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: LH youth 22 hard to find
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 08:21:48 AM »
I'm not sure hom many they make, but they should be pretty easy to find from your local dealer. I got a 17HMR with no problem.

You could also go the single shot route.

Offline Bubber

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 06:20:28 AM »
I am reasonably sure Savage makes pretty big runs of lefty rifles. I have always ended up ordering most of my guns through my friendly nieghborhood dealer, but it never seemed to be a problem.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
found one Re: LH youth 22 hard to find
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 10:14:48 AM »
Found that Impact Guns in Utah carries left hand Savage .22 lr. So followed Bubber's system and ordered one thru a local FFL guy.  The only real option we have unless we want an 870 or m700 rifle in this town. Impact seems pretty organized and I'm eager to see how my boy does with the gun - MKII GLY in 22lr.  Thanks for the comments folks.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Gregory

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 02:58:42 PM »
I started my boys with a Contender Carbine in 22 LR with a youth stock.  As they grew, the stock was replaced and you can add barrels later suitable for deer hunting.
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 03:01:06 PM »
As a lefty myself I got into single shots because they are truly ambidextrous.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
got 1 finally 10/22
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 07:03:42 PM »
Well the Savage I ordered finally arrived.  Really wasn't that long a wait once I ordered but you know how hard it is to wait for a new gun.

Mark II Youth Savage. Pretty nice really. Its a little stiff on opening but some oil and working the bolt will smooth it out.  My 7 yr old is pleased but I don't think he'll want to carry it real far.  Its quite a bit bigger than his Chipmunk and even bigger (longer) than the CZ Scout I got for his brother.  Hope weather is good enough to try it out Saturday.

I sure wish they made a blank magazine block like CZ does for the scout. I'll suggest it to Savage I think. May try to make one out of plastic myself. It would make it easier for single loading. 

The 10 shot clip that comes with the rifle gets in the way of my boy's right hand when he grips the forearm so I'll try to do the blank mag or get a 5 round mag. 

I might need to build  up the comb a bit too.

Otherwise it seems like a very nice gun.

Oh, I haven't read all the materials but what is the little knurled tool that comes with the gun?  Is it for adjusting the trigger?

Hope to report on performance this weekend.

Doublebass - I tried to interest my boy in one of those Stevens/Savage Favorite (mod 87??) but he had no interest in it.  Darn, I've almost bought one several times just to try but haven't had enough justification. 

NRA Life

Offline toysoldier

• Avid Poster
Re: LH youth 22 hard to find got 1 finally 10/22
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 03:21:12 PM »
My son and daughter are both right-handed, but my daughter is left eye dominant. Both learned to shoot with a Stevens Model 44 (a late variation of the Favorite) that my father-in-law had given me. The current Favorite is kinda expensive, especially since significant parts are cast, not machined. I wish they'd make a version of the Tip-up---simple, light, and cheap.