Author Topic: Conversion cylinder for .44 1858 revolver ?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline SNOWMAN

• Trade Count: (0)
Conversion cylinder for .44 1858 revolver ?
« on: September 21, 2008, 04:31:46 AM »

Greetings from another "newbie"

I want to convert My 1858 new army.  It's about 13 years old(from Bass Pro shops) and the frame is of a DEEP DARK reddish brown color,(not brass colored).  It does have a shiny brass trigger guard and imitation wood grips.

I think it's a Pietta, altho not 100% sure, but it has a PN stamped on the end of the cylinder and in front of the trigger guard.

Can I be assured that the reddish brown frame is steel ?  i.e. Should I "take a chance" and order a conversion cyl direct and bypass a gunsmith's inspection ?

Any opinions appreciated.

Offline CJ

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Re: Conversion cylinder for .44 1858 revolver ?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 11:26:03 AM »
Not sure what Bass Pro sells,but if you are concerned if its steel or brass frame, try to stick a magnet on it. Not sure what would have a dark red color, could it be rust?
NRA Lifer

Offline SNOWMAN

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 02:39:20 AM »
Thanks

I can't believe I didn't think to use a magnet.

The color is NOT rust.  At a distance, the frame color doesn't appear too differently colored than the barrel, but up close and under any kind of light, the VERY dark reddish brown frame color is obvious.

A conversion kit would probably cost as much as an all new SA  gun, but from what I've read, the 8" barrel may be more accurate than that of regular single actions.

Offline Flint

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 07:37:24 AM »
The dark red is a function of the alloy of steel, many guns turn, or blue to a deep red, especially if a cast frame.  I have old 3-screw Rugers that are red. 

PN stands for Powder Nitro, it is a proof mark.  Pietta might be in a diamond, FP stylized in it.  Uberti had a logo that looked like a small propeller at one time.  Another maker was ASM.

The date code will be two letters in a rectangular box. See chart for the date of manufacture.

http://www.berettaweb.com/DL1.htm
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline jd45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 05:46:36 PM »
As Flint has stated, the cylinder is strong enough to contain the pressure. That's where it's at. I have an R&D .45 conversion cylinder with my steel-frame 1858 Uberti Remington, & am content it'll hold up with standard-pressure .45 Colt loads, as he stated. jd45