Author Topic: I AM DISAPPOINTED IN MY NEW ULTRA SLUG HUNTER  (Read 2118 times)

Offline FASTMIKE0721

• Trade Count: (0)
  • GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET!
I AM DISAPPOINTED IN MY NEW ULTRA SLUG HUNTER
« on: September 03, 2008, 11:03:14 AM »
WENT OUT A FEW DAYS AGO AND SET UP AT 75 YRS TO SHOOT ULTRA SLUG FOR FIRST TIME  #SB2988 12 GUAGE, THE FANCY ONE WITH CHECKERED LAMINATE AND SLING.

I HAD NEVER SHOT THIS GUN BUT DONE WELL WITH ANOTHER OLDER USH.

I GOT A BUSHNEL TROPHY SCOPE 3-9X40

THE AMMO WAS WINCHESTER BRI 2-3/4 LEAD SABOT
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I HAD LASER BORESIGHTED IT PREVIOUSLY

2ND SHOT ON 8X11 PAPER BUT LOW AND RIGHT

3RD  EXACTLY ON IN ELEVATION BUT STILL WAY RIGHT IN WINDAGE

4TH EXACTLY ON IN WINDAGE BUT WAY HIGH

5TH WAY UP AND WAY LEFT

6TH OFF PAPER AND BOARD

7TH  WAY LOW AND LEFT
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I AM NO DUMMY TO GUNS AND OR SCOPES....

I ADJUSTED SEVERALE TIMES WITH NO AVAILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM SO UPSET I COULD GIVE THE GUN AWAY!!!!

MY 100 DOLLAR BUSHNELL 3-9X40 SCOPE WHITES OUT AT HIGH POWER WITH MODERATE GLARE!!!!! UPSET ALL THE WAY AROUND.

MY GROUPS DIDNT NEED TO BE 1 RAGGED HOLE BUT  THEY WERE HORRIBLE  EVEN IN A LOHMAN VISE

IS THIS NORMAL???? 

360 DOLLARS IN GUN AND SCOPE AND 16 DOLLARS IN WINCHESTER BRI SLUGS

HELP ME HERE!!!

MIKE
07 H&R ULTRA SLUG DEL 12 WITH BUSHNELL TROPY 3X9X40
06 S&W 629 CLASSIC 8.375 WITH 2X7 BURRIS POSILOCK
CVA STAGHORN INLINE 50CL. WITH TASCO WORLDCLASS 3-9
MOSSBERG 500A SMOOTHBORE SLUGSTER
HORTON YUKON SL 150 COMPOUD CROSSBOW--LS MX EXP

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: I AM DISAPPOINTED IN MY NEW ULTRA SLUG HUNTER
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 11:08:54 AM »
I'd bet that your scope base or rings are loose.  Your slug gun has a lot of recoil for a cheap scope.  Forget the vise, you need a bag under the hinge pin.  Try another brand of slugs.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 01:49:23 PM »
   Sounds like what happened to mine, all over the paper. My scope base rail was loose, a little Loctite and 1 1/2 groups at 100 with BRI's. I wouldn;t use a vise or Lead Sled type rest the are hard on scopes.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline TRAPPERKRIS

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 02:24:04 PM »
I'm with eyeshot and swampman,  Lose the vise, lay hinge pin over sand bag or (i use a rolled up blanket).

Yes double check scope base and ring screws (BLUE/medium weight locktite).....NOT....RED....(made that mistake before).

I shoot the ultra slughunter in 20 gauge BUT same thing applies......Try differant brands of ammo.  My weapon likes remington copper solids the best.....not a ragged hole but 2 out of 3 touching on a consistant basis sold me.

Remember......every weapon likes one type ammo better than another............

chris from nv.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 01:03:53 PM »
I completely agree with all prev posters. Loose scope/base where the FIRST thing that came to mind. OR the scope shot loose INSIDE.

Never decide a gun doesn't shoot by only shooting ONE kind and brand of ammo. That's like giving you kid Broccoli for the first time and when they turn there nose up at it you declare this kid doesn't eat vegetables.

Double check everything, grad some other ammo. (A COUPLE brands) and head back out there!!

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 05:55:35 AM »
Hey Fast, I just got an USH (SB2-980) with a Nikon slughunter scope which is 3-9-40.  You said you scope cost 100 dollars, well I would say it is a cheap scope on a great gun, what can happen is that the scope can't take the recoil of the gun, because slug guns kick more then your average shotgun.  That is why, I would get the Nikon Slughunter scope which  has a BDC  reticule, what it has is  four lines on it, first line is 50 yards, second line is 100 yards, third 150 yards, and fourth is 200 yards, what it does is the scope does the compensating for you, so instead of aiming  six inches high at 150, all you have to do is take your 150 yard line (in the scope) and aim where you want on the target. This scope is specifically designed for slug guns, the scope cost 250 dollars.

I was afraid that a cheap scope would do what had happened to you, I spent 460 dollars but I am happy with what happened at the range, I got one inch groups at 100 yards, I used Hornady SST'S, they work well for me, I would try different ammo.  What was the weather like, because I tried at 150 yards with my USH and got 12 inch patterns, because it was 10 mph to 15 mph winds which throw off the sabots.

I hope this helps

buckshooter     
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline FASTMIKE0721

• GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 01:47:42 PM »
THANKS GUYS, I WAST SHOOTING ON CALM DAY AND 85 DEGEREES AND SUNNY.

ANY HOW I CHECKED EVERYTHING AND THE RAIL IS TIGHT AND THE LOWER PARTS OF THE RINGS IS TIGHT TO THE RAIL ENGOUGH THAT I COULN'T LOOSEN THEM WITH MODERATE EFFORT, SO THAT ALL CHECKS OUT GOOD!

WHAT CONCERNS ME IS THE UPPER RING HALFS...  THEY WERN'T REAL TIGHT: THEY WERE SOMEWHAT SNUG BUT NOT TIGHT.       

I NOTICED THAT THE SCOPE HAD MOVED IN THE RINGS, SO I WOULD GUESS IT HAD TO BE THE TOP RING HALVES.

THEY ARE 1 INCH WIDE RINGS AND HAVE 1 ALLEN BOLT IN EACH SIDE.  THERE IS FRONT AND REAR RING...

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS >>>> HOW TIGHT DO THE TOP RING HALVES NEED TO BE TO SECURE THAT SCOPE?? I CRANKED IT DOWN EVEN AND SLOWLY, BUT PRETTY DARN TIGHT!!!

IT'S A 06 ULTRASLUG HUNTER 12 GAUGE #SB2988 ... LOW RINGS BARLY CLEARING HAMMER WITH A BUSHNELL TROPHY 3X9X40

HOW TIGHT DO THEY NEED TO BE?
                                                      MIKE
07 H&R ULTRA SLUG DEL 12 WITH BUSHNELL TROPY 3X9X40
06 S&W 629 CLASSIC 8.375 WITH 2X7 BURRIS POSILOCK
CVA STAGHORN INLINE 50CL. WITH TASCO WORLDCLASS 3-9
MOSSBERG 500A SMOOTHBORE SLUGSTER
HORTON YUKON SL 150 COMPOUD CROSSBOW--LS MX EXP

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 02:58:13 PM »
I use the Warne rings Medium..they have 2 screw's on the top and bottom..If your USH is like mine..It kicks like a mule..I would recomend heavy duty ring's...I Bought one of the Warne torque t handle wrench's...And went beyond that a couple time's... I will be taking mine back to the range here again soon. I put a new Nikon on top of it..5" of eye relief.... Please Keep us posted Drop

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 05:01:41 PM »
Well...If the scope rings and bases are tight, it might be the scope.  Do you have another scope you can try out on the gun or have a friend who has one?  You will also want to try other brands of slugs through your new gun...Sorry to hear about your troubles as most of us have had nothing but good luck with our Ultra Sluggers...I have a Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4x32 on my USH and am very happy with it...About 5 years now and it has never lost zero and never needed to be adjusted after hundreds of sabot slugs.  That includes BRI, Partition Golds and Lightfield Hybreds...The Lightfield were the most consistent and accurate for me.  YMMV...

Good luck...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 02:56:09 PM »
I would say its safe to assume you found the problem with the loose rings and moving scope!!

Go out and get your self a GOOD set of rings!!  ::)

I like the Leupold PRW. But they are sit pricey, there is a number of good rings out there that will work well for you. I had good luck with the Weaver 4X4 but they have since changed and cheapened them WAY up. The Warne's prev suggested are good ones as are the T/C rings made for the Encore.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 01:41:06 AM »
 Like you already note, you need better rings.

I have the USH 20. It like the "remington copper solids" as well. We tried the hornady SST and Winchesters, and Brenekes and Lightfields. Remingtons came out on top. Good luck.
Lonny

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 06:30:41 AM »
I had the same problem with the scope moving on a handi 500s&w... I had to install a 3rd scope ring and even then the cheap scope wouldn't hold zero...

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 07:12:10 AM »
after you get your scope worked out , go to the tar hunt site and learn how to shoot a slug gun !
not a cut to you but the best advice you can get is on that site !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !