Author Topic: pre-paid phone cards  (Read 430 times)

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
pre-paid phone cards
« on: September 23, 2008, 04:56:25 AM »
Here is another example, of, you get what you pay for. Being on the road on the weekends, and not really liking cell phone's, I use pre-paid calling cards to call home. Couple weeks ago, needed one, so found a Penny card at a Speedway gas station. Cost-$5.00, so I should have had 500 minute's. Used it 4 times. Less than an hour of talk time. Last time I TRIED, to use it, it had 80 minute's when I started, in less than 5 minute's, it went to zero time left. When I called the 800 number to find out why, all I got was a recording, please call back later, when we're here. Buy cheap-get cheap!  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: pre-paid phone cards
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 06:21:33 PM »
Before I had a cell phone I bought the same kind of cards and been pissed off at least a few times. There are things in fine print or something that they think justify it. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 08:28:35 AM »
I have a friend that sells cards that are good for 12hrs=$$$ 24hrs=$$$
you can call any where, trick is when you make the first call the time
starts 12hrs or 24hrs. i told him it seemed crooked he says in no place does
it say 12 or 24hrs of talk time. You can talk for 12-24 hours but it shuts down
at the the end of the time you bought.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline kevthebassman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 01:09:14 PM »
Sounds like your friend is a crook.

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 03:30:19 PM »
I used prepaid phone cards from Costco for years without a problem.  I used them all over the West from motels and pay phones.  A far better deal then paying the premium that motels charged when the calls were added to the bill.  The 1-800 numbers were not being billed by the motels.

I later found that the private pay phones did not like them or the 1-800 number I used to contact my employer on. 

By 2002 it was clear that the pay phone was a thing of the pass with many companies going out of the pay phone business.  On one trip I cut across Hwy 95 in Western Nevada.  It was like being caught in a badly written mystery with dangling pay phone receivers, blowing dust, and tumble weeds, along with closed out businesses. 
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.