Author Topic: USH 20 gauge Range Results  (Read 944 times)

Offline stormsearch

• Trade Count: (0)
USH 20 gauge Range Results
« on: October 28, 2006, 12:11:31 PM »
Well I finally received my new forend stock and was able to do some shooting.  Before I did any shooting I put the O rings on the stock screw.  Have a Leupold VX-1 Shotgun scope with Millett Rings.  I'm shooting off the back of my truck with the forend resting on sandbags so not the ideal setup.

All shot at 100 yards:

Hornady SST's:
5 shot group - 5 1/4"

Fed Barnes X:
4 shot group - 15"
After the 4th shot, I never bothered with the 5th.  I had two absolute flyers and it wasn't me.  One barely was caught on paper

Rem. Core Lokt Ultra:
3 shot group - 6 1/2"

Lightfield:
3 shot group - 2 3/4"
Man do these things leave a hole

Win Plat. Tip (2 3/4"):
3 shot group - 4 1/4"

Win Part. Gold (2 3/4"):
3 shot group - 4 3/8"

Copper Solid (2 3/4"):
3 shot group - 2 1/4"

Hornady SST's:
3 shot group - 4 1/4"
I bought a couple boxes of these hoping they would work out so tried them again.

One thing I noticed, most of my shot strings are vertical.  I am pretty sure it wasn't my barrel overheating as I walked to the target between each shot and it was about 60 out when shooting.  Does it need to be cooled down more???  I don't 100% trust the Millett rings and will be picking up some Warne rings next season.  Any other ideas.  I bought some Warnes for another gun and they are absolutely solid and look great.  Because I'm shooting off the back of the truck, I caught myself resting the forend screw on bags and not the stock several times.  I need to re-shoot with all the rounds off a good rest and maybe remove the O-ring.

I ended up picking 5 boxes of the Winchester Part. Gold mainly because I got them on sale and they have good energy out to 100+.  But those Lightfields leave one heck of a hole.  I should probably use those or the Copper Solids as they faired pretty good and have good field results from what I gather.

The trigger on this gun is unbelievable.  I'm guessing around 3 1/2 lbs, super crisp.  I only have one other stock trigger that comes close to this and cost 4 times the gun.  Love the scope.  Tried finding a replacement stock, but the don't have the patience to grind down the Simms "grind to fit" nor do I like the slip ons.

Offline stormsearch

Re: USH 20 gauge Range Results
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 04:02:44 AM »
I went back to this link to see what kind of accuracy I was getting when I first got this gun.  I noticed there wasn't any replies, likely because everybody assumed I don't know what I was doing.  I shoot muzzleloader and '06 several times/ year.  Also my Grandpa's 8 mm to sight in for deer season.  I can routinely hold 1 - 1.5" groups so I was blaming my equipment.

Well after shooting again last year, I discovered something and thought I better re-post to give an update.  My particular gun needs to be very clean to be accurate.  After 4 - 6 rounds, my accuracy falls off the map.  My first results below are all after I shot several rounds to sight in my scope.  I discovered this when I shot again after a thorough cleaning at home.

My updated results:

Win Part. Gold (2 3/4")
5 shot group - 1.44"
3 shot group - 0.86"

Win Part. Gold (3")
3 shot group - 1.1"
5 shot group - 1.6"

I haven't tried to shoot other rounds again because ammo is getting expensive.  I dropped a 4 pt. last dear season with the Part. Gold (2 3/4") so pretty happy with this gun.  I didn't shoot anything first season with it.  Still going to update to the Warne rings though, they are just alot better rings.

Offline ccoorreeyy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 10:31:05 AM »
Sounds like when clean it shoots pretty dog gone good.  I might clean mine to see how it does.
This is the day that the Lord hath made!!  I will rejoice and be glad in it!!

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 01:13:45 PM »
Hope I can get my 12 ga. to do this.... That is really good. I will have to remember the clean thing...

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 02:30:01 PM »
Each gun is different.  My 12 ga USH seems to send a flyer more times than not on a clean barrel.
I'll be doing a range trip in the next couple weeks.
Once sighted in, I'll clean it, shoot a couple fouling shots and put it away until deer season.
Once the season is over, then it will get a good cleaning before it's stored.
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)