Author Topic: 3" mag shells are not 3 inches until fired!  (Read 356 times)

Offline Mack in N.C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
3" mag shells are not 3 inches until fired!
« on: September 25, 2008, 03:53:07 PM »
not trying to be a know it all  just making sure evryone understands why a longer shell will chamber in a shorter chamber and so everyone doesnt get hurt............read what i posted on the othe post about the guy putting 3.5 inch shell in a 3 in chamber............

3" are not 3" loaded...they are 3 " after firing..........you need to put a caliper on your shells........i have always been told by my gunsmith is that the longer cartridge fits is because it is unfired....it will be too lonng and not open up all the way in the wrong chamber..........i just measured 2   3 " magnum 12 ga shells and they were from 2.5 to 2.6 inches long............not 3!!!!....measured a 20 ga 3 " mag and it was 2.5 inches long ///.....20 ga 2 3/4 shell was 2.32 inches long............the length of a shotgun shell is the length after it is fired!...........please be careful.....mack

i have know about this for years...my son is 12 now and i have 3- 12 ga singel shots, 2 -20 ga singles, 3- 12 ga pumps,  1 -12 ga dbl barrel and 1 -20 ga dbl barrell.........all these guns and 1/2 are chanbered for 2 3/4 and aprox the other half have 3 inch chambers...........so i havr shown this to my son all the time so one day when i am long gone he will not make that mistake............the mag shell will fit into the shorter chamber but you may not be lucky when you pull the trigger...................if yall shells are 3 in mags and 3 inch when loaded they are not loaded rtight...............mack

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: 3" mag shells are not 3 inches until fired!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 08:45:54 AM »
Good info, thanks for putting it in print.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.