Author Topic: 2 piece base loosening on lead sled  (Read 483 times)

Offline 3006bluffhunter

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Contributor
2 piece base loosening on lead sled
« on: September 29, 2008, 04:10:36 PM »
I have a savage 111 with a weaver extended set of bases! I tightened them tight ,real tight I thought! tightened the rings real tight also! I Took it out to the range and sighted it in which was going well! Shot 8 to ten rounds then BANG way off target! so I started to check things and my base screws were loosening up like real loose! This was set on a lead sled which had about a 30 pound scuba belt in the tray! That 30-06 shot like a bb gun with all that weight!Down side is I think all the recoil was getting absorbed into every screw on that rifle which loosened up the bases! With my shooting muffs on and squeezing the trigger I could feel a tuning fork type of ring/ping in the butt of that rifle! Do you think taking that much recoil out by that much sled weight could lead to rifle/mount/rings/scope failure? needless to say I lock tightened the screws now! (blue medium strength automotive style) Do You lock tight all your mounts? Thanks Dale

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 2 piece base loosening on lead sled
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 04:27:31 PM »
That's what Loctite is for. ;) I shoot chamberings that have twice the recoil of the 30-06 over my Leadsled DFT, never had a problem, but I only use about 20-25lbs of sandbags on the tray, I just want to slow it down, not stop it.  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 01:59:24 AM »
I use the "blue" Lock Tight on the base screws. I have not found I need it on the ring screws, but I do not shoot the heavy hitters. I do have a 444 Marlin, but have not squeezed the trigger on it yet. BTW I also have the lead sled DFT, but so far I have not put any weight in it. I suspect that will change when I finally get out the 444.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 04:06:52 AM »
I use red loctite on my base screws. I know it's there and so does my son (when he inherits them) and a soldering iron will break the bond. I normally don't use any bonding agent on my ring screws but if I do it's green loctite or clear nail polish. I clean my screws and the holes with Ronson or Zippo lighter fluid. If you have problems with a scope slipping in the rings a dab of rubber cement on the lower ring half will cure that.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 04:26:26 AM »
I found out that the lead sled type rest is very hard on scopes and mounts. I quit using it and went back to sand bags,but I do use a Sims slip on recoil pad. I haven't had any problems with scopes since.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte