Author Topic: Gauge reducers  (Read 471 times)

Offline Alabama Outlaw

• Trade Count: (0)
Gauge reducers
« on: October 13, 2008, 03:05:26 PM »
Anyone tryed the  "Gauge Mates"    Cabellas  sells them..
I have a 10 gauge  sb2  28in and would like to try  12 Gauge shells ..  cheaper .. less kick ect.
Deactivated for grossly foul language use. Ban if he ever returns with new name.

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
Re: Gauge reducers
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 05:59:28 AM »
There all work from Briley sub gauge tubes to chamber mates. If the ones you are looking at are the plastic ones they also work but plan on getting your hands dirty with burnt power when changeing out shells. For the price difference a little dirt can be a good thing.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: Gauge reducers
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 06:18:39 AM »
I have the 10 to 12 ga slip in reducers from Cabela's for my Side By Side 10 Ga.  They are not exactly the best thing since sliced bread.  They do work, But there are three problems.
1) they split the 12 ga case.  There is a split seam in the ga mate and firing the 12 ga will deform the shells and with AA hull it will cut them with a neat 1/8 inch strip out of it.
2) You need to keep a pencil or dowel handy in your shooting vest to pop the old hull out of the adapter.
3) I thought throwing a 12 ga shell down a 10 ga full choke would give me about an improved or skeet pattern.  Wrong!  A full choke will give you a full choke pattern.  I thought I could get better with the goose cannon at the skeet and sporting clay range getting used to the swing.
Now the 12 to 20 are solid and work well,  heck the same for all the other Ga mates.  It's just the 10-12 that has the split sides and where the trouble comes.  I have not tried the 10 to 16 or 20 that i think may do what I want but I am worried about speed with most of the gas screaming by the wad.  I think one Ga down is about the best bet for any thing close to what you want the smaller shell to do.