Author Topic: Debating on Caliber for Mountain Rifle  (Read 2919 times)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Debating on Caliber for Mountain Rifle
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2009, 02:26:57 AM »
It's been a long time now since you started this thread and you've not told us what you got if anything yet. So what did you get?

I think the .338 Federal would do fine for what you have in mind but then so would a lot of others such as the 7-08 or .308 Win. as would the .270 Win., .280 Rem. or .30-06.

I once got the hots for a Kimber Montana in .260 Remington. I called to ask what accuracy might I realistically expect from it. The rep at Kimber refused to give me a straight answer and all he'd do is make excuses about I shouldn't expect light weight rifles to shoot as well as heavier rifles. I've owned far too many pencil thin Remington rifles that shoot consistently less than inch groups at 100 to buy that BS. I wound up buying a Model Seven Remington in .260 Remington instead. They could have made the sale by merely giving me an honest answer assuming that answer was around an inch to an inch and a quarter.

His refusal tho made me think it might be more like 2" or more and that just wasn't acceptable to me.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2009, 06:27:40 AM »
Bill How do you like your model 7 in 260? That to me seems like a perfect match of gun and cartridge.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2009, 11:50:05 AM »
It was nice but as is my usual mode of operation it is now gone. I buy or trade for them, hold onto them awhile and give them a try then move them on down the road the next time something else catches my eye. Been doing it for over 30 years now like that. I've had a lot of guns to try but not a lot got to stay around for the long haul.

It was a CDL and I just really don't like blued guns with walnut stocks and they don't stay here long. Guns with laminated stocks especially the gray laminate and stainless metal seem to last longer here with ss guns with plastic stocks being those that last next longest. Not many blue/walnut guns stay over a year.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!