Poll

Which to top my Savage 17HMR?

Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 Silver
10 (83.3%)
Mueller Eraticator 8.5-25x50 Red Dot Silver
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Nikon or Mueller?  (Read 769 times)

Offline Tikker

• Trade Count: (0)
Nikon or Mueller?
« on: October 02, 2008, 05:23:11 AM »
     I'm in a bind as to which one would be more worthwhile to put on top of the gun, as i just ordered a new Boyd's Evolution stock for the gun since the cheap plastic one on there just wasn't right for my size and i want more scope than the Sweet 17 thats on it already. So since the gun's got a stainless steel-heavy barrel i was thinking i might as well go with a silver scope. So with the two i came up with, what would be a good choice?

The Nikon has great glass from what i have read and it's got the side adjustable objective but power only goes up to 14 but maybe the quality glass makes up for it compared to the Mueller. Although the Mueller power range is up to 25 and a nice thing is the red dot it has. I can get this scope for close to the same price so that won't be an issue.

Tough choice for me, i tend to go for the subdued tactical look.... but i figure with the gun being SS that i might as well try something different. Here's a pic of the stock it will sit on top of to give an idea.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Nikon or Mueller?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 11:58:35 AM »
Why not the Mueller APV 4.5-14 instead? To me that's a more appropriate power range for the rifle than the Mueller you list. I have one of them and it's a fine scope for the money that I can highly recommend.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 01:14:13 PM »
I 2nd the Mueller APV 4.5-14, very good scope.I've never checked out the Nikon, but bet from reports I've seen it would be fine.
I like the stock, tell us more about rifle that you will be putting stock on and even better when you get it together pics please!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Tikker

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 01:40:58 PM »
The reason for thinking of the Nikon was the Side Focus, which seems like a really nice feature. The Mueller is close in the price to the Nikon but i wanted a higher power than the 3-12 like i have on my BSA Sweet 17. Using the BSA makes me think i need a higher power for a 100yd. shots, but the Nikon would make up for it with the better quality glass. I'm going on the much spread advice as you get what you pay for and this build is just gonna be a one time thing for me.

I don't like the reticle on the Mueller APV but the Eraticator is very unique. Most of the choice between the two that's making me have a hard time picking is, should i choose the side focus or the long range power with the red dot reticle.

Offline Tikker

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 02:45:31 PM »
Just remembered to tell you about the rifle,

I picked it up about 2 weeks ago after i purchased it off gunbroker.com and after the shipping and FFL fee it came out to $211.  The gun came with the BSA Sweet 17, and it works great for what it is and i was able to keep it within 2" @ 100yd....just not enough for me i guess...i was worried it might not work since i have read reports of it not keeping zero. As for the rifle it's a Savage 17HMR in S.S. with the heavy barrel & Accu-Trigger, really like it after the range time i got with it but the grip and length of the stock made it feel like a kids gun as my wrist couldn't bend at the angle so i had to keep my hand straight and my fingers curled like i was holding an invisible pistol grip stock just to stay comfortable.

I'll take some pictures it when i can and post'em up for ya'll to see.

Offline CDA

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 02:23:12 AM »
I don't have a lot of experience with Nikons, but the ones that I have looked at seem nice with nice glass. I do have the Mueller that you are looking at and I really like it for what I use it for, which is mostly paper punching. If I were going to be in the field a lot I might go with the Nikon. If it was mainly for targeting and light field use, I would go with the Mueller. The fine crosshair and the extra power zoom is nice for targeting. The red dot doesn't show up at all until you turn it on.

Just my thoughts...

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 03:05:20 PM »
I was in your boat last summer.  I wanted a higher power scope.  The one thing a hated was a focus ring on the frot of the scope.  It is useless.  That is why I went with the Nikon with a side focus.  I love it and you will be happy with it.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 12:20:44 AM »
I can also recommend the Mueller APV, I have 3 of them. One on a 10/22, Savage 22 Hornet and a Marlin 22 Mag (silver). I also have a Mueller 8.5 - 25X Tactical on a 221 FireBall.  Both are good scopes for the money spent. I really do not care for the lighted recital and do not own a single one. I really do think that the APV will do every thing you need and at around $125 for the silver one, I just can not think it can be beat. If you insist on getting one of the two you mentioned - I would get the Nikon. I know there are folks out there that think they are going to shoot tighter groups with more power, but for the most part 10X is plenty. If you have a scope of higher power, shoot 5 groups at 100 yards set at the highest setting and then turn it down to 10X and shoot 5 more. I would be surprised if you get .1 difference and most likey no difference. After you can see the target at a certain magnification, it really does no good to turn up the power. Some times all it does is make you second guess yourself as to where the cross hairs are on the target. I have shot some very good groups with a straight 10X scope and have actually killed blackbirds (pretty small target) at 250 yards with a 10X. IMO - Clear optics, repeatable clicks and a fine cross hair trumps high power and not so clear optics. Try it I think you will be surprised at how well you can shoot with the power turned down. Get into field situations and there is no question you can shoot with more confidence when the power is not so high. I am building a long distance 223 for PD and I am planning on putting a Bushnell 3200 Elite 10X tactical on it. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Kurt L

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 03:34:25 AM »
I have the Mueller 8.8x25 in black not silver but thats just color.
Mine is on a 300 win mag with 3 Burris signature zee rings on a weaver base and I LOVE IT.
for the price I don't think you will be unhappy with it.

Would I buy another one YOU BET I WOULD , I want to get more of them but short on cash >:(
KURT LGo TO RIFLE RED RYDER SUPER MAG CARBINE