Author Topic: What is the cheapest scope you ever bought, yet gave unexpected Performance  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Country Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
 How low can you go and still get a servicable scope ? What brand ? By servicable one that gives good low light performance and positive adjustments, won"t fall apart or change zero after a few shots ?

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
Konus.
Have had three and all were excellent, especially for under $100. Used one on a 460 S&W Mag Encore rifle and one on a .50 inLine BP rifle, both held absolute Zero with any and all loads. I shot the inline with 140 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 500 Grain Lead Bullet in a Sabot and the scope held up lot better than my shoulder held up.
The third one is on my .357 Handi.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
I've owned 2 Tascos that were outstanding.  The Bushnell Banners can't be beat for 3 times the money.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
The older Tasco scopes were good for the money, I've used/had a several that never gave me any problems.  My cousin has an older Tasco 4x32 on his Marlin 336 30-30 that's been on the gun since it was new.  The gun is at least 15 years old, bought used, as his first deer rifle.  It's never gotten out of zero one time, and it's bright enough for shots at dusk too.  I can't say that about the newer ones.

The less expensive Bushnell models give outstanding performance for the money.  The Banners and the Trophy's are great scopes, and I had an old Sportview 3-9x40 on several different guns with no issues.  I ended up selling it to my buddy for him to put on his new T/C Thunderhawk (that gives an idea of how long ago I sold it) and he still uses it to this day.

I've also had a lot of performance out of the Simmons line as well.  Several Whitetail Classics (it wasn't a cheap scope), Whitetails, Pro-Hunters, Deerfields, all have passed through my hands with no issues or complaints.

If you're going to buy a cheaper scope (under $75-$100), keep it simple.  No fancy do-dads and such.  Preferably a fixed power. 

There's a guy on AuctionArms.com right now that's got several Simmons Whitetail Classic 4x32 scopes for $69 each, new old stock.  That's a good deal on a good scope.  When the Classic was the top of the Simmons line, I think that the retail on those scopes was something like $140 or so.  I can remember my old Cabela's catalog listing the 2.5-8x36 Classic for $189.99, and the 3.5-10x40 was $199.99.  If you can find them, these scopes are usually good deals for the $$.  They pop up with some regularity on ebay, both new and used.

Now, I'll stop rambling and say that if you want to keep it under $100 for a new scope that's easy to find, you aren't going to get a better scope than the Bushnell Banner or Trophy.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
I have Bushnell Banner 3x9's on everything form 22LR's to 45/70's , at a price of less than $70 out the door IMHO there are no better scopes for twice the cost , very clear glass , hold zero on even he nastiest recoiling 45/70 rounds and are very repeatable .

Would I buy another one , well I already have 6 , what do you think .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Bushnell Banners.................

Offline RaySendero

How low can you go and still get a servicable scope ? What brand ? By servicable one that gives good low light performance and positive adjustments, won"t fall apart or change zero after a few shots ?

Low $$$ was a used Weaver K2.5 for $15 at gun show.

But many years latter it broke on recoil on my 9.3x62!

Mead wouldn't warranty it - and costs too much to have fixed by the old weaver service group.
    Ray

Offline jason280

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
The older Tasco World Class scopes were actually decent scopes, but the newer ones are plain trash.  As far as unexpected surprises, I would have to go with the Bushnell Trophy line of scopes. 
"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
Re: What is the cheapest scope you ever bought, yet gave unexpected Performance
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 11:13:52 AM »
A bushnell 4x32 that has been on almost every rifle I own has never gotten a complant from me.
I did have two of the cheap Simmons 3-9x40s that always worked but the weren't very clear.
My Tasco World class is clear enough and holds zero well but doesn't have repeatable clicks.

I say if your going to buy cheap optics get a simple as posible.
Those <$50 scopes a wally world that have a dosen knobs and switches on them are a bad idea.
A fixed power fixed objective for the same money might give a lifetime of use.

Offline RANGER RICK

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 02:32:03 PM »
I have a JC Penny 4x mounted on my 45-70 and it has held up great with hard magnum loads .

RR
PRACTICE DOES NOT MAKE PERFECT !!! PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT !!!!!
HOME OF THE FAMOUS TRYANNOSAURUS THUMPERS !!!!!!!

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 03:19:45 PM »
Put a Nikon Prostaff on a cheap Mossberg rifle in 270Win a while back and sold the rifle and wished I would have kept the scope.  I really believe it was as clear, bright, and crisp as the Monarch series which sell for more than double the money.  I admit I am getting to be somewhat of an optics snob in my old age, so when I say it impressed me I really mean it.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 03:27:35 PM »
I had an old El Paso Weaver 4X back in the 60's.  Dropped the rifle and dented the bell of the scope.  No change in point of impact.  Can't remember the price of the scope but bet it was no more than $40.

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 01:35:25 PM »

No shooter will regret working a little harder & saving a little more money to get a Nikon Prostaff.

For price, quality, performance & warranty (IMHO) they can't be beat !

BTW Luckyducker, why did you sell the Mossberg ?   :-\ Good Shooting to all !
Jim

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 06:19:23 PM »
Bushnell banner !!

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 02:47:40 AM »
I've used cheaper scopes for years, the most expensive scope I own is a Leopold, and only one of those. The only one that has ever done me wrong was a Tasco. Something about the adjustment dials messed up and I had to scrap it. I don't use my chiepeis in really bad weather, that's why I have the Leopold, but you can pick up used higher quality scopes if you watch at pawn shops garage sales etc.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 03:31:29 AM »
My cheapest are Weavers.

yooper77

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 03:51:04 AM »
Cheapest scope I ever bought was a BSA Pistol scope.  2X.  It sucked as a pistol scope.  The cross hairs were crooked.  Better would be twisted as in culred.  But it works great on an old bolt action 22LR that I turned into a small game scout rifle.  We call it Click Ding Giggle (CDG).  We shoot CB longs in it out to 50 yards and it makes no noise.  All you hear is a click of the fireing pin, the ding of a steel target and everyone that shoots it giggles. 
I had another BSA that came on a GAMO .177 rifle that the gun killed.
Now if i want a scope I buy a Weaver.  I like them I think they are 99% of a Leupold at 75% of the cost.  My Weaver 6X on my H&R 22 mag is bright and clear,  the Bushnell Banner 3-9X32 I have on my Marlin Bolt action.  The weaver is brighter, clearer, and targets seem closer than the Bushnell at 8 or 9 power. 
What are you looking to buy?  Better Question is what do you want to mount it on and hunt what?

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
FW Conch, I sold the Mossberg because I wasn't satisfied and wanted to move on to something else ...... mostly because that is what I do.  With good handloads the moss gave consistant 1MOA accuracy, which I consider plenty good for a deer rifle.  I sold the rifle to my daughter's B-I-L, who needed an inexpensive deer rifle.  BTW, sorry I took so long responding.

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
   Not to worry "Lucky", we all have demands on our time!  ::)  I have made it my mission in life to get as
much enjoyment as I can for as little money earned or spent (good bargains) as is possible, that is why I
am interested in the Mossberg - it seems like a worthy candidate.  I am aware of what the rifle is & isn't
but it's good to hear you speak of your experiences with it & why you sold it.  Thanks much for the feedback.  And BTW, there's absolutely nothing wrong with "moving up" !   ;D
   All this being said, I was inspired by stimpy, poncaguy, & 243 dave to take a good look @ the Bushnell
Banner & I'm going to give it a try the next time I need a scope.  Heck, @ 70 couple $ out the door, with
no shipping cost, I may just have to order it now & find a use for it later !   :) ;) :D Jim
Jim