Author Topic: 2008 model 70  (Read 1085 times)

Offline billy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
2008 model 70
« on: October 23, 2008, 02:32:53 PM »
Got to look one over good today fit and finish are good ,nice looking rifle so good i have one on layaway,now one change i seen was two screws hold the action to stock ,old models had three.Trigger guard is maybe pot metal which helps in weight department,barrel floated and looks like a target crown,think i will like this rifle .
I enjoy collecting guns, swaping and staying up on all the newest models. I deer, quail, squirrel and rabbit hunt.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: 2008 model 70
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 02:03:14 AM »
think i will like this rifle.

I hope so since you are paying out a lot of good money for it. From your description tho it sounds like a bit of a cheapened version of the pre 64 gun.

Way back in the days of my youth when all I had was a Stevens bolt action 22 rifle of my own and my dad's and formerly grand dad's old JC Higgins pump 12 gauge to shoot I decided I wanted a Model 70. My cousin I did a lot of shooting with had gotten a Model 70 featherweight .30-06 and I really liked it and wanted one jist lak it. I asked for it as my Christmas present that year and as usual my parents cheaped out and instead I got a slightly sporterized Mexican mauser in 7x57 instead.

I pretty much hated that rifle from the get go but did develop a love of the 7MM bore from it. I later sold it for either $10 or $20 to a friend who wanted it a lot more than I did.

I never did get my Model 70 tho once long long ago I did buy a Model 670 and just never fell in love with it. I ended up instead getting a Remington Model 700 when old enough to buy guns on my own. Ever since I've been a confirmed M700 shooter. Who knows tho had I gotten that M70 I asked for that year for Christmas history might have unfolded differently and I too might be a Winchester fan rather than Remington fan.

Since buying that first R700 I've probably gone thru at least 150 or more of them and likely quite a few more. I still have several M700s and M7 Remingtons and have never yet owned a Model 70. I must admit tho I do love the looks of the M70 Featherweight and did once come really really close to bringing one home.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 03:55:24 PM »
I must admit tho I do love the looks of the M70 Featherweight and did once come really really close to bringing one home.

Oh darn it Graybeard, sure wish you would have tried it. Not pretending to know how it would have ended up with it, but I sort of have the feeling that you'd have kept her.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline billy

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 10:02:32 AM »
The trigger guard is one piece so i guess two screws is all it needs and it is lightweight metal ,Graybeard a friend of mine has a CDL in 30/06 and it is a real looker ,shoots good to.
I enjoy collecting guns, swaping and staying up on all the newest models. I deer, quail, squirrel and rabbit hunt.

Offline Skunk

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 06:01:41 PM »
The trigger guard is one piece so i guess two screws is all it needs and it is lightweight metal...

Bet you're right about that Billy. It also has Hex screws instead of the regular flat heads that strip out so easily. If I'm not mistaken, Williams Firearms Co. made the one piece bottom metal for the big bore M70s awhile back. I'd almost bet that they (might be wrong though) are making the bottom metal for all the new M70s. That spells top notch quality, at least with the bottom metal, for any of the skeptics out there. :D ;)
Mike

Offline billy

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 03:40:18 PM »
Hey Skunk,that,s for the information on the trigger guard and i also like the hex screws,so far i really like the rifle hope to shoot it soon,fit and finish are top notch and it points great .I put and Nikon pro staff scope on it with ded nutz one piece mounts,seem to be rock solid.

Offline Skunk

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 09:55:53 AM »
Billy,

That is going to be a really excellent rifle. When you get it off lay-a-way, please post some pictures and some targets. I'd really like to get the Super Grade, but the All Weather model in stainless steel and Bell & Carlson stock also looks really nice, especially with the fluted barrel. Decisions, decisions...but at least the decisions are being made on one heck of a beautiful rifle.
Mike