Author Topic: Mounting rings too close ?  (Read 471 times)

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Mounting rings too close ?
« on: October 05, 2008, 09:34:25 AM »
I mounted a Bushnell 3x9x40 with a set of Leupold PRW low rings. Im not sure on my terminology but I had the rear ring mounted right next to the assembly that houses the windage/elevation reticle controls. As I was sighting in this new gun I noticed after clicking a few adjustments that it would all of a sudden make large changes in the points of impact. After changing to a different scope I noticed that the gun was still spraying bullets in an undesired fashion but but could definitely be more predictable. My question is whats the chances that I may have had the ring either too closely mounted to the windage/elevation adjustment housing and/or had the ring too tight causing a bind of some kind internally ?

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Avid Poster
Re: Mounting rings too close ?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 12:47:18 PM »
Alright I have a different question now. It sounds like from what Ive read that I made a mistake by not lapping the rings first. So I might have damaged the scope. Im going to be taking my scope into a sporting goods store and have them mount the scope for me. So my question is can they check my scope out to see if it adjusts properly in comparison to a fixed object or some bore laser light or something ?

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 02:14:30 PM »
You could very well have the rings to tight.

I doubt you damaged the scope, but you can put it face down on a mirror and watch the adjustments as you change them.

Lapping the rings is a good idea, but won't help IMO.

Mount the tube farther back from the adjustments and don't over tighten the rings.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 02:56:16 PM »
Thanks victorcharlie I hope its not damaged. I might be able to find something out tomorrow. I just dont want to spend any more on another scope.

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 12:19:20 AM »
I suggest that you try another scope.

You didn't say which Bushnell model your using some have less than steller reputations I hear. As for lapping rings ................... well I have never yet had to resort to that  :).