Author Topic: scopes  (Read 711 times)

Offline minker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
scopes
« on: October 10, 2008, 04:31:16 PM »
i am looking for a scope for a .222 rem. rifle i resently bought .  found some really good buys on scopes in a natchez shooters supply catalog i got in the mail .

anyone have any experiance with any of the following scopes .

simmons prairie master , 6x24x50.

bsa huntsman ,,6x24x40 .

barska varmint , 6x24x42 , 6.5x20x50 , 8x32x42

bsa catseye ,4x16x50

tasco wide angle, 4x16x40

bushnell sportsman , 4x12x40

i've had simmons, tasco , and bushnell scopes before no real complaints , never use or know anyone who has used a bsa, barska  scope.

they also had scopes by brunton and truglo , neither of which i'd ever heard of.
anyone ever used any of those.

thanks

mark
Mark D. Stackhouse

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: scopes
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 06:55:55 PM »
i have 2 of the prairie masters and i like them enought to get one for my son in law for christmas last year and he likes his so i'd say it is a good one
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 12:59:06 AM »
"Really good buys" are a relative thing ya know. Cheap and "good buy" are not necessarily the same thing. Sadly cheap is cheap for the most part. Most of those you list are just cheap and to me at least are also just junk I'd not have if free.

I have tested the entire Bushnell product line other than the newly introduced Elite 6500 line. For the money all are solid buys. Understand that at the bottom rung of the ladder optics are just not as good as those further up the rungs and you have to decide how much quality you are willing to scarifice for cheapness.

Personally I'd stick to the Banner or Trophy line of Bushnell scopes as a bottom line price point. If you can't afford those you really should practice patience and save until you can. Another excellent value for the money is the Mueller line of scopes and they are a GBO Sponsor as well. Now most of what Rich sells have the lighted dot in the middle of the crosshair which as I've told him numerous times I don't feel a need for and they do add weight and bulk to the scopes. But not all his scopes have that feature and those that don't are a bit smaller, lighter and even cheaper than those that do. In the general power range you appear to be looking at the APV 4.5-14 is an excellent choice at a modest price point.

I suggest you take a look at it along with the Bushnell Trohpy or Banner lines.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 12:39:52 AM »
I think Graybeard has given you some excellent advice. I used to get the "good buys" and I have found that for the little extra money that the Banner line costs is well worth the extra money spent. I will not buy any thing under their price point. I have little by little replaced the "good buys". The Mueller APV is a very good scope for the money spent also. I have numerous Banners and 3 APV scopes. I believe for the rifle you want a Banner 4 - 12X would be a good choice, if you want just a little better scope, the Mueller APV at 4.5 - 14X would be the next step up. Step awaaay from the high powered cheap scopes that have +20 power, get as far away as you can. I would not recommend those scopes to anyone at any time. For the same kind of money buy the better quality scope in a lower power. If you must get one of these cheaper scopes, make sure it is a straight power scope and the lower the power the better. You will set yourself up for disappointment with these. Just off the top of my head, the Bushnell Banners can be had through MidSouth Shooters Supply at a very reasonable price. The Muelller scopes are a little harder to find, but you can if you look hard enough. Like Graybeard, I prefer the scopes with out the lighted recitals for the same reasons as he has given. Some times the bargains really are not bargains. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 01:12:07 AM »
 I'd look at a better quality used scope.
NRA, Veteran

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 03:29:53 AM »
Yep, I agree with everyone else.  Hold off a little until you can at least get a Bushnell Banner, if you're staying under $100.

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 01:58:10 PM »
They Know of what they speak. I have 2 barska scopes and both are junk.The optics are fuzzy no clairty. When poeple say you get what you pay THEY ARE RIGHT. 2- Barska= 1 Nikon or leapold.

Troy
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline minker

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 03:16:45 PM »
never heard of the mueller line of scopes before , where are they sold at ?  or anyone got a website with them ?

i agree with you get what you pay for , but a .222 rem. has very little recoil that might damage or effect a cheaper brand of scope .

thanks for the information .

mark
Mark D. Stackhouse

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 03:27:39 PM »
Mueller sells them direct, or there are lots of dealers listed on their website, many that offer free shipping.  ;) For the .222, I'd get the APV, it's an excellent scope for $115 shipped.

Tim

http://www.muelleroptics.com/

http://www.muelleroptics.com/dealers/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain