Author Topic: Dies? & Load?  (Read 1016 times)

Offline mossyoakman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
Dies? & Load?
« on: November 05, 2008, 02:21:09 PM »
A man told me he would reload some ammo for my TC Encore 25-06 Rem. if I would get some dies and a few other things. I know nothing about reloading, so I need yalls help. What brand of dies do I need and what is a good whitetail deer/hog load? My barrel is a encore 28" SS fluted. What is a good reloading book to get to compare to his? Also tell me the cheapest place to get this stuff. Anyone with experience reloading a 25-06 rem. please share your info, but everybodys info will help!
                                            Thanks

Offline Kurt L

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Dies? & Load?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 03:01:22 PM »
How long has this person done this,do you feel safe ???
Lee,Hornady,rcbs they all  work I like Hornady.
I will let some encore guys hit on some loads etc.
Load books are all good What does this person have?
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/department.asp?dept=Reloading&dept2=DIES&dept3=25-06+REMINGTON
KURT LGo TO RIFLE RED RYDER SUPER MAG CARBINE

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 03:05:28 PM »
Any of the major die company dies will work. the Hornady dies have become popular on this site, but RCBS, Redding, Forster all make good dies; take your pick. I personally like the Speer reloading manual #14, but I use Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, Hodgdon and Lyman books too.

Get the reloading book(s) first and do as much reading as possible. Be knowledgeable, then you can consult with your man how you want your loads done.

I personally do not trust anyone to do reloads for me. But that is just me, I have had a bad experience once and it will not happen again. If you can really trust your life to to this man, then go ahead, but only if you can trust him. He needs to be fussy and maticulous in his reloading habits. If you decide to have him load you up some, Make them in the lower end of the reloading manual data. Unless he is willing to work up a load for you. I have only reloaded for one other person and he is my father in law, who can not reload his own any more.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 04:59:07 PM »
  mossy , if you are going to buy the components for HIM to load for you why not go the next step and get a press and load the ammo yourself.? Get your "friend" to give you a few sessions and you'll see how easy reloading is. A couple manuals (read them a couple times end to end) and your in bussiness! Besides you will want to try other recipes once you get started. Like 75 grain varmint loads. H4831 and 4350 are 2 favorite powders for the 25-06. Good deer loads  start with a 100 grain bullet and go up to the 120's. A good hog load would be a 120 grain bullet. Hogs have a thick gristle plate over their shoulders and you need to penetrate it for a quick humane kill. Some people claim you need a "Premium" bullet like the Nosler partition and others. But a good Remington coreloct will work at a cheaper price!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 05:42:18 PM »
My advice to you is to either load them yourself or buy factory. I shoot no one's reloads but my own. It's a good policy you should follow it yourself. I personally will do nothing that will in any way, shape, form or fashion help set you up to have someone else reload ammo for you. I'd as soon load dynamite in my guns as to use reloads from anyone buy ME. Please do yourself a favor and do the same if you didn't load it then don't shoot it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mossyoakman

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 11:56:54 PM »
Thank yall for all the info!

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 12:33:35 AM »
Mossyoakman, if you have a 25-06 you're going to want to try a lot of different loads and work them up so you get the best accuracy. To do that takes a lot of time and effort. Asking your buddy to do it is kind of asking a lot. You'd be far better off buying some loading equipment and having him teach you how to do it. Not only would that be a LOT safer, but in the end you'll have ammo that is right on every time. And I mean right on!!!
And like most of the guys I never load for anyone else, nor I shoot other guys loads. That way I don't lose any fingers or any friends.

Offline iiranger

• Contributor
NUMBER ONE!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 11:00:01 AM »
For anyone to load for you, unless they have a government license, regrettably, IT'S ILLEGAL.

I am a bit paranoid, but this may be a set up, a snitch trying to buy favor by setting you up... BEWARE!

As said, if you can make chili or scrambled eggs, you can reload yourself. Hit the gun shows, buy a half dozen used manuals and study up. It is not difficult and you will have better loads and see what gun can do. luck.

Offline NE Hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 11:34:23 AM »
I've got to chime in here and say GB and the others are right on ... do yourself a favor and load your own.  You can get into it inexpensively using LEE products check Midway ( do a google search) I'm not sure if Midway is a contributor so I won't paste the link.

Offline inluvwithsara

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 11:36:47 AM »
Huge plug for the Dillion 550 Press...payed for itself fast!
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 12:22:05 PM »
Midway is NOT but Midsouth Shooter's Supply is a sponsor and have lower prices almost always.

www.midsouthshooterssupply.com

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mossyoakman

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 04:07:46 PM »
If I reload myself, I will need yall to help me as much as possible!
I know nothing about reloading at all and do not know where to start.                           
                                      Thanks

Offline NE Hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
you're in good hands here.  I'd suggest you get a manual first ( Lyman is my go to to start) read the how to section several times. This will give you an understanding of terms as well as equipment used.  A starter kit will have most everything you need in it.  GB gave you a link to midsouth shooter supply he is right that they do have good prices. 
Don't be afraid to ask away.  Another good read is the sticky at the top about getting into reloading.

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 12:12:24 AM »
Reloading isn't rocket science. In fact it's actually quite easy if you simply follow the instructions to the letter. Some pretty smart people put those manuals together.
NE Hunter sent you in the right direction. Pick up a manual or two, and maybe the ABC's of Reloading. Plus read the Stickys up top of the forum. And read it all before you buy any equipment. After you read it and get some of the terminology down, then we can begin to help with your questions. 
Also, keep in mind that while it is nice to have $3,000 worth of equipment, it really isn't necessary. There are plenty of guys loading with the kits or with second hand stuff that they picked up for a song.   
And remember, none of were born knowing how to load so don't worry about what you may think is a silly question. It's very likely that we asked the same one somewhere along the line. 
Reloading is a great hobby and you will learn a lot about how ammo works and why. And you'll probably save a buck or two as well.
Where do you live? if you're close enough to one of us we may be able to help in person.
Qajaq

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 07:45:25 AM »
Midway is NOT but Midsouth Shooter's Supply is a sponsor and have lower prices almost always.

www.midsouthshooterssupply.com

Thanks GB.
I took a look in the Midsouth pages and saved myself almost $7 on a set of dies.  I told 'em where I saw the ad too.

Offline mossyoakman

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 12:33:22 PM »
Sorry guys, I have been hunting all weekend. It would be nice to have one of yall get with me and help me get started. I live in NE. Texas and will need all the help I can get.
So.......keep the info coming!

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 01:33:48 PM »
Sorry guys, I have been hunting all weekend.
That's about the best excuse there is.  ;D

Offline mossyoakman

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 08:37:29 AM »
So...which dies do I need to get from midsouth?

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2008, 09:30:02 AM »
Id get the lee deluxe or the rgb for your 25-06 least money for the set. The lee dies are working as advertised and i have bought a bunch in the last couple of months

spending money to save money sounds like an oxymoron
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 09:34:12 AM »
Oh yeah buy a good reloading book the lee or the lyman seem to be the ones to get i like the lee because of all the different load data

Everyone is an expert but personal experiance is the best teacher
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 09:44:21 AM »
I have reloaded for many many years and do so for a number of people. I like to have them here when I do so.

I would strongly mirror the advice given.  Check local shops, places around here have used equipment at BARGIN prices. Of that doesn't produce check the local papers for the classifieds or maybe post a want add. Quality equipment will last many lifetimes. Thank fully most all the makers out there are making quality stuff that will last.  When considering a manufacturer, I am very partial to Green.

If buying new, Lee makes a fairly complete, economical kit. They are far from my first choice for used/second hand stuff.

I will also recommend you buy the LYMAN manual, first. Then once you find a favorite bullet, buy that bullets manufacturers manual. (IE, Speer, Sierra, Hornady..etc.)

There are many of us here with tons of experience that are willing to help. So don't worry there.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2008, 11:01:33 AM »
IMO the Lyman beat out the Lee. But everyone has different tastes.

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 02:34:46 PM »
IMO the Lyman beat out the Lee. But everyone has different tastes.
lee's book has way more load data than the lyman if in doubt buy both i did

reloading is most relaxing

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 11:38:50 PM »
lee's book has way more load data than the lyman if in doubt buy both i did
Actually I was speaking of the dies. and having several books is always a good idea.

Offline 25/06

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 12:01:46 PM »
im shooting a 117grn sierra game king with 41grns of varget. using lee deluxe dies with a rcbs rock chucker. my ruger perfers the geavier bullets as do i. check your twist rate in your barrel.