Author Topic: Big Bore 375 question  (Read 894 times)

Offline DC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Big Bore 375 question
« on: October 06, 2008, 10:41:36 AM »
On one of the other forums, I read a few posts knocking the 375 Winchester and the Big Bore.  Specifically, the main issues according to those commenting were inherent inaccuracy of the round and the rifle and the "uselessness" of the cartridge.  I suspect most were people that had no direct experience with it. 

I just bought a like new BB in 375 and from what I read, it will do quite a few things well.  With it's muzzle velocity a person should be able to reach out 175 yards with a good tang or Williams sight and it has the muscle to put down just about everything in North America.  No, it is not a 400 yard antelope gun but who cares.

I would like to hear from some of you that have had experience with both the rifle and the cartridge.
Dana
Ruger M77 243, Browning B2000, Ruger 22's, Ruger Red Hawk, SBlackhawk, Savage 223 Target...about 20+rifles less than I used to have. :-(

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Big Bore 375 question
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 11:42:50 AM »
I bought a Winchester 94 in 375 the year they came out with the cartridge, and thats too long for me to remember.  The factory stuff was ok, but this thing came alive when I began loading for it.  I sold it to my brother a few years back, but at 200 yards and under it was a fine round.

I'm a love of big bullets so I might be a bit prejudiced, but with cast bullets this thing was a man.  Accuracy was what you would expect from a lever action.  About 2-3 inches at 100 yards.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline crash87

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 11:25:29 AM »
Some people would condemn a rifle that shot a 2-3" group at 100yds, fortunately there are those of us who know better. I own 2 .375 WCF, a No.3 ruger and a BB 94. I will admit I haven't shot the Winchester yet as this is going to be a cast bullet shooter and I,m slowly getting my irons out of the fire and it will soon be lapped and a mold purchased. As far as the Ruger is concerned that's a whole different subject. While I bought factory ammo to initially get the brass all those years ago I never chronographed them. Just shot 'em up. My standard load is 38 gr of RL-7 behind the 220 Hornady. My 1st Black Bear and a bunch of Wis. Whitetail fell to this combo. I mounted a 2 3/4 Redfield Wideview (remember those) on it and used to set water filled milk jugs on a fence line snow bank 150 yds from My Dads back porch, sitting with my elbows on my knees I would hit them with regularity. Inherent accuracy? What does that got to do with anything, In fact most ,if not all, the firearms I own are "not" inherently accurate, just ask the heads on my wall. Another gun writer quote that should never have been and wannabe experts have latched onto it. I've posted here before on my thoughts concerning the .375 Win. I believe it was a great cartridge for its intended purpose, but like so many others that came before and after, the writing press never, "never" gave it a chance. My BB already wears its peep sight and when it gets its chance 2-3" groups will be more than fine. I think more people should give things a try before condemning what they don't really know. They should put away the scoped heat seeking missiles and get back to hunting game instead of sniping game. In fact if 2-3" group @ 100yds is not good enough just close the distance by half, i.e. 1-1 1/2" groups now. Enjoy your Big bore, you may not know it yet but you have something very special. Good Huntn' CRASH87

Offline DC

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 12:30:12 PM »
Hey Crash,
What kind of peep sight do you have on it?
Dana
Ruger M77 243, Browning B2000, Ruger 22's, Ruger Red Hawk, SBlackhawk, Savage 223 Target...about 20+rifles less than I used to have. :-(

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 03:08:14 PM »
Had one in a Ruger# 3. did not get a chance to hunt with it( well yes, but not to shoot) I used the Speer 235 gr Semi. with RL-7 but don't recall how much. Got a nice group with the load.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline crash87

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 10:46:21 AM »
DC, It's a Williams peep FP94/375
                                              CRASH87

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 12:13:09 PM »
If you have read the other posts on .375- .38-55, you already know my opinion. I agree with crash. It's a ball to shoot, and will be a favorite of anyone who approaches the round without prejudice. It's a medium size brush busting hammer. I'd like to add tho, if you like the .45-70, IMHO, you'll like the .375.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA
Crabby conservative old fart

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 12:44:31 AM »
Not long after I bought the Winchester 375, back "when", I was hunting with an friend, and let him use the rifle.  As we were walking out about lunch time, several deer came by us on a sandy beach running full tilt.  He was in front so instinctively he raised the rifle and fired, twice.  Two deer fell.  Just under 100 yards.  We did not have to trail either one.  Thats why I like big bullets, and why I always will.  A "super sonic" rifle would have killed the deer no doubt, but we would have had to trail them for who knows how long.

Now stretch that distance out a hundred or so more yards, he would not have had a shot...Goes back to the no free lunch theory,  its a matter of what a man wants in a gun.

If I were hunting a gas line easement with 300 yard possible shots, I would take another gun.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)