Author Topic: Tanfoglio Gold Custom 9x19  (Read 1075 times)

Offline jsf

• Trade Count: (0)
Tanfoglio Gold Custom 9x19
« on: October 14, 2008, 10:27:46 PM »
We've just started shooting in our country and so all is relatively new. I am interested in buying a Tanfoglio Gold Custom race gun with red dot and compensator. The model available is in 9x19mm caliber.

What I'm worried about is that we usually use reloads and not factory loads. These reloads have approx 1045 feet per second speed and use a 124 grain heads.Does anyone have any experience on this gun/caliber and reloads? Likely, reloads will not have enough power and different burning power powder as to enable the compensator to work properly.

Also, any comments on this actual model even if used with factory loads will be appreciated

Many thanks
James

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Tanfoglio Gold Custom 9x19
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 01:06:08 AM »
James:  Welcome to Graybeards.  I hope I am not the only one here to welcome you aboard. 

I do not have any experience with the Tangfoglio pistols but have read excellent reviews.  The Tangfoglio name has surfaced many times and always with favorable reports from our members. 

The 9mm loads you mention - 124 gn slugs at about 1045-1050 are just a hair under the original loading for that caliber which was a 124 gn bullet at about 1090'/sec., but those reloads may cycle your action.  Give the reloads a try first but also please understand that a lot of race gun shooters prefer their own handloads to even new factory loads or commercial reloads.  Many of our reloaders prefer cast bullets, many prefer jacketed.

Some of our shooters have been professional competitors in the past and may still be.  Perhaps they can chime in and give you some better advice regarding loads and load data for that 9mm and possibly some tips on reloading with powder and bullet choices. 

Hope this helps.  Mikey.

Offline jsf

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 06:22:37 AM »
Hello Mikey,

Many thanks for the welcome. I am very pleased at the news you gave me and would welcome further comments from the forum's other members. I was a little worried as on one forum I read there could be some problems in chambering the 9x19mm rounds if the Tanfoglio had a large frame. I got to know how to distinguish a small frame from a large frame Tanfoglio (by measuring the magazine) and am very pleased the gun I am referring to has a small frame.

Well done for the forum and prompt reply.

Thanks and best regards

James

Offline ShootnStr8

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 08:16:21 AM »
James,

I can't help you with your question, but welcome!  It is great having you join us!

Blessings!

Shootnstr8
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal