Author Topic: Deer slug shotgun what do you like?  (Read 696 times)

Offline buckfever 1

• Trade Count: (0)
Deer slug shotgun what do you like?
« on: November 22, 2008, 04:29:13 PM »
I am going to start to hunt some slug gun areas and want to get some real hunter information before I buy one.     Buckfever

Offline Midwest31

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: Deer slug shotgun what do you like?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 01:16:13 AM »
I use a Beretta 390 with a rifled barrel and 2x7 scope.  Its super accurate with lightfield slugs. This was my first year using a scope deer hunting.  Its great unless you get into some really thick brush, then i prefer iron sights.
Brian

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 02:46:41 AM »
I have had a bunch.

My first choice for a shotgun is hands down the Remington 870. But its NOT my choice (any more) for a slug gun, read on.
 I have two different 870 slug barrels. One is the cantilevered smoothbore W/screw in/s and the other also cantilevered but this one is fully rifled. Both shot fairly well with the slugs they liked. Barnes ex-panders for the rifled and Breneke's for the choke tube. They both shot within 4" for 100yard groups. The fully rifled was a bit better keeping its slugs inside 3" if I did my part.

One day, some ten years back, at the range a guy was shooting a single shot break open slug gun and getting some really good groups. After talking with him I discovered it was a H&R Ultra Slug gun. The 12 GA model is made from a 10GA barrel blank, so the barrel is nice and stiff. MAN DOES THIS THING SHOOT!!!!  I HAD to have one for my self. 
 Couple weeks later I got one and started shooting. I of coarse grabbed the Barnes Expanders my Remington liked so well. Well the H&R HATED them, actually sending them tumbling to the target with 10-12" groups!! I had some Remington copper solids (Old/hard style with the pedals) with me and tried them. they shot great!! Putting them easily inside a 2" cluster. I switched over to the Remington premiere cor-lokt slugs and got even better accuracy. All slugs touching with some thru the same hole at 100yards. Then the Remington Buck Hammers came out. I LOVE these slugs for closer shots inside 100-125yards. Best part about them and my gun... I site them to be dead on @ 100 and the cor-lokts hit right at 2" high and perfectly centered with out changing zero on my Leupold VXII shotgun scope. So I carry both slugs while hunting and never worry about my shot or the distance. the Buckhammers get yeoman duties and the premiums get the nod when Mr. Big steps out past 125yards.

Here is three shots from the H&R with Buck Hammers @ 100 yards.

So, my suggestion, go get yourself a H&R ULTRA SLUG in 12 OR 20 GA!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Terry1

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 07:51:46 AM »
Remington 870 20ga, Hastings fully rifled cantilever mount barrel, Simmons scope, and Rem. Buckhammer saboted slugs. I have tried others, but I keep coming back to this one!

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 03:13:19 PM »
I use a H&R USH with an Nikon slughunter scope.  I can get 2 inch groups at 100 yards.  I love this gun.  I reason this gun is awesome because you can buy the gun for 220 dollars regular price.  If you really want to buy the most accurate slug gun on the market is Ithaca deerslayer3, which can put 4 four inch groups at 200 yards and is a pump action slug gun.  Know this sounds fine and dandy, but the Ithaca deerslayer3 costs 1300 dollars with the Nikon slughunter scope.  Personally I would buy the H&R USH, mine likes Hornady SST's. 

hope this helps

buckshooter   
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline stevinator

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 05:57:54 PM »
I have used a Winchester 1300 black shadow deer 12 ga for several years and have a red dot on it.Great gun especially for the price if you are on a budget.I could by a fancier one now but just can't give it up.

Offline mbh78

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 02:24:54 AM »
savage 210. Very accurate and the best thing about it is it has a rifle trigger, not a shotgun. Fully adjustable.