Author Topic: This is a heart wrenching story!!!!!  (Read 643 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
This is a heart wrenching story!!!!!
« on: November 11, 2008, 01:10:31 PM »
This is a heart wrenching story for sure. No pun intended. This 13 year old girl that lives in the UK has refused a life saving heart transplant. The doctors have given her 6 months to live without it. All I can think of is my daughter that is the same age. You really should watch the video that is in the link. Dale
http://news.aol.com/health/article/uk-teen-wins-right-to-refuse-new-heart/244516?icid=200100397x1213224441x1200801126
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline DalesCarpentry

Re: This is a heart wrenching story!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 03:19:34 PM »
Boy I can't hardly believe 48 people have viewed this with no response. :o :'( Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline whelen36

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 03:41:21 PM »
i've got 56k dial up , so i didn't watch it , can you tell us that have dial up why she refused the heart transplant please ??
thanks in advance
that 11-pointer was too perty to let you have it - ( dale earnhardt )

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 03:54:02 PM »
She has been in the hospital since she was 4 years old. She got Leukemia at that age. The Chemo she received for it destroyed her heart. She says she is tired of hospitals and wants to go home. Dale

Offline whelen36

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 04:15:23 PM »
ok , i can see why you said it was heart breaking , this is saddening but , i hope she has a belief and faith in God the father and Christ the son so even though the body may pass away she will still have ever lasting life. i know that most people don't want to hear that but , in my belief it is true . God bless her

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 04:18:15 PM »
I for one can understand where she is coming from.  If that is her wish, so be it.  No one else has the right to tell her she can't do that.  Rog
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 04:22:52 PM »
The government of the UK was going to drag her to the hospital without her or her parents consent and give her a heart transplant. Dale

Offline whelen36

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
are they still trying to make her get the heart transplant ??

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 03:20:07 AM »
No after child services spoke with the girl they backed down. Dale

Offline Heather

• GBO Supporter
    • mymartialartsplus.com
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 06:49:54 AM »
That is heart breaking!  I feel sorry for the little girl and her parents.  I'm not sure that even as an adult I could make the decision to die.  She is a brave little gir,l and I am glad that the gov decided to leave her alone and let her and her family do what they felt was right.

Heather
Strive for complete serenity in all aspects of life.
www.mymartialartsplus.com

A closed mind is often closed to the truth!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and loose both...Ben Franklin

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 08:46:35 AM »
This is something some agencies and beauacrates cannot understand.  After so long your quality of life sucks so bad it is time to let it go.  Yes, the alternative is not good to most people.  But to the one going through it, sometimes it is better than continuing the torture, pain, and side effects that they don't talk about.

I've had my chest opened twice, once to repair a lung, then for a heart bypass.  Never again, the third time they wanted to open it, when the bypass failed, I refused.  The doctors were in a tissy.  One wanted the wife to get a court order to force me to have it, she refused.  They told her without it I could go anytime.  Two years later they discovered the drugs I was taking dissolved the blood clots.  It's been five years and I am still hanging in there.  I will never relent to having my chest opened again, it's not worth the pain and extended recovery.  And the side effects, some of them are that they break your ribs when they open you up.  Not up front but in the back where they attatch to your spine.  When they cut your sternum, they lose some of it, carpenters call that the kurf.  Then when they pull it back togeather the ribs work as a hinge and everything moves up.  The top of my sternum now intrudes against my esophagus and I can easily choke when eating or drinking.  Doctors say my chest is no longer strong enough to really protect my orgens.  A sudden impact (ie automotive air bag, dump my motorcycle, roll my 4-wheeler, hit something hidden in the snow with the snowmachine) can cause it to break and damage internal organs, resulting in death.   Oh well, such is life.  Life is too short to sit in a rocking chair and let it pass you by.  You folks be good, going to the White mountains for four days on a snow machine.  Talk to you when I get back.  Rog.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline jvs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 09:25:36 AM »
She wants to go home, away from the pain and suffering that modern medical miracles can perform in the effort to prolong life without quality.

The least everyone can do is grant her last request for peace and serenity.  She's a brave little girl, she is not afraid of what is ahead of her beyond this world.

Is she loved?  ABSOLUTELY ! 

Do the Doctors what her to live a normal life?  Doctors will fight tooth and nail for the young, sometimes too self-centered.

This girl appears tired and she wants to go home.  Maybe she sees more at her age than most older, educated people do.
 If you want to run with the Wolves, you can't Pee with the Puppies.