Author Topic: My Coues Deer  (Read 556 times)

Offline TCBrian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
My Coues Deer
« on: January 16, 2009, 04:35:46 PM »
I hunted in Southern AZ for Coues deer this year. I had the commissioners tag, so I had all year. I chose to hunt in Jan during the rut. I didn't take a monster, but it is a very good coues.  I hunted with Duwane Adams who is a very well known and respected guide. His son Luke as well as several other guides all helped out with the glassing. We probably saw bigger deer, but this one was perfect, no broken tines, etc.
 I killed him with the final hit at 540 yards with a 6.5x55 and 140 SSTs. I hit him at 480 in the leg, about 8" low of where I was aiming, this slowed him down enough to get a good rest and make the kill shot at 540, this was all after I shot over his back at 320. It was straight down hill and I didn't adjust enough for the downhill angle. Here are a few pics.

Brian

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: My Coues Deer
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 01:20:36 PM »
WOW!   :o  That's a really NICE Coues!  I'd like to get just one like that for the wall, but at my advanced age and sickly physical condition I'll probably never hunt outside Jawja again...  :(
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline kiddekop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: My Coues Deer
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 04:02:41 PM »
I hunted in Southern AZ for Coues deer this year. I had the commissioners tag, so I had all year. I chose to hunt in Jan during the rut. I didn't take a monster, but it is a very good coues.  I hunted with Duwane Adams who is a very well known and respected guide. His son Luke as well as several other guides all helped out with the glassing. We probably saw bigger deer, but this one was perfect, no broken tines, etc.
 I killed him with the final hit at 540 yards with a 6.5x55 and 140 SSTs. I hit him at 480 in the leg, about 8" low of where I was aiming, this slowed him down enough to get a good rest and make the kill shot at 540, this was all after I shot over his back at 320. It was straight down hill and I didn't adjust enough for the downhill angle. Here are a few pics.

Brian
Duwane used to put on seminars at Raahauges Shooting Sports Fairs in Norco,CA I met him there & enrolled in his glassing class in AZ looking at coues 1 .5 miles away had to use his binocs as my old eyes couldn't make out coues with 10x40 instant focus leupold binocs.Never had any glassing for wildlife classes at the Univ of AZ while earning my BS degree in wildlife mgt back in 1961,1962 & 1963 the staff assumed everyone was proficient.