Author Topic: Hex head screws  (Read 1364 times)

Offline nodlenor

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Hex head screws
« on: June 08, 2008, 03:10:58 AM »
Anyone else have trouble with hex head screws stripping out? I think these type of fasteners need to be discontinued and replaced with a more reliable system. Especially the small ones like the ones used on scope rings and bases. Leupold uses the star head on some of their scope rings which I have had much better luck with. Even the square head like some deck screws use would be better than the hex design.

Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey

Offline oldandslow

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Hex head screws
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 08:30:37 AM »
I have run into the same problem especially with some of the cheaper rings. Wasn't a problem in the old days. The screws were made from better stuff. I like the Torx screws like Leupold uses now or even straight slotted screws.

Offline gwindrider1

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 08:03:50 AM »
Those "manufacturers" might be outsourcing their screws from some Chinese firm.  Cheap steel, not suited for the intended purpose would be my first suspicion.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 09:16:25 AM »
I replace socket head screws with torx head screws when ever I can, Brownells.com sells them in several sizes and lengths, and their shipping for small items is less than $5.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 06:27:43 PM »
They are designed for a single use only. For that purpose they work pretty good. The problem is two fold really. Problem one is we over torque them badly and problem two is we try to reuse them over and over. Another problem crops up from time to time in that folks try to loc-tite them in place and they were never intended to be loc-tited in.

Get a proper torque wrench so you don't over tighten them and then replace them each time you reuse rings. Do that and you'll have no more problems.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline nodlenor

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 02:04:01 AM »
I've found that a lot of times the wrench doesn't fit correctly and that helps strip the head of the screw whereas other designs aren't as easily striped, such as star, square and even slotted. Most of us don't keep an assortment of screws to replace the old ones; although it's not a bad idea;  and I would venture even less own a torque wrench for small screws such as that. After using several different types I don't think the Hex (or Allen) head screws are a very good design, especially for small screws that need to be kept tight.
Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 02:51:15 AM »
Wasn't a problem in the old days. The screws were made from better stuff.

I would say that this is 2/3rds of it.
I still pefer the hex over the torx for more heavy duty applications as that tapered torx just doesnt have the uniform surface contact area that the straight walled hex does.
Dont believe me? try using that size 60 torx to remove the caliper mounting bracket on an auto so as to get the rotor off...the thing will slip right now.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 01:03:51 AM »
Most of these screws come with a wrench. How good is it?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 01:10:26 AM »
Most of these screws come with a wrench. How good is it?

They like the screws are fine for their intended use which is one time. The wrench is designed to allow you to apply about the proper torque and no more. If you are using the supplied wrench and anything is stripping it's because you are trying to apply too much torque to it. Scope screws and the wrenches supplied are really intended to be used ONCE and only once. Sure you can get more use from them if you don't over torque them but they really are intended to be put on and left on.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 03:40:21 AM »
They like the screws are fine for their intended use which is one time. The wrench is designed to allow you to apply about the proper torque and no more. If you are using the supplied wrench and anything is stripping it's because you are trying to apply too much torque to it. Scope screws and the wrenches supplied are really intended to be used ONCE and only once. Sure you can get more use from them if you don't over torque them but they really are intended to be put on and left on.

Good Post!
Another thing to be aware of (with the hex) (and applications such as used equipment or new with no wrench supplied) is that they come in both standard & metric. They can be close enough to easily strip that head if the wrong one is used.