Author Topic: now lyman really sucks!  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
now lyman really sucks!
« on: February 15, 2003, 10:54:03 AM »
snapped off the handle on my lube sizer sizing some 500 grain 4570 bullets and I know there going to charge me to fix it again! Never again with the lyman junk!
blue lives matter

Offline sjc1

• Trade Count: (0)
now lyman really sucks!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2003, 11:13:26 AM »
Lyman has been around for a long time but I think the present management is going to run the company into the ground. They have terrible customer service. I have contacted them for information and have either gotten the wrong answer or no answer. I have a Lyman #450 lubesizer and I like it, but the last lubesizer I purchased was a RCBS because RCBS has great customer service.
Lloyd, I wish you well in your dealings with Lyman.

Offline Underclocked

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
now lyman really sucks!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2003, 01:27:07 PM »
They actually got hateful with me over a mold that casts an off-center nose.   They wanted me to send the mold and a sampling of my cast bullets so they could look them over.  They would most certainly claim it to be my casting technique even though none of the rest of my molds have that problem - I would just be wasting my time and money.

Come on Mountain Molds!!  or somebody.
WHUT?

Offline Kragman71

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Lyman customer relations
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2003, 04:19:20 PM »
My last dealing with Lyman's Customer Relations was about a year and a half ago. I needed some information about my #45 sizers and some "o" rings for my dies.
The lady was pleasent and professional,and answered my questions.
She also sent me the "o"rings at no charge.
Any depeciation in Service has to be recent.
Frank
Frank

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
now lyman really sucks!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2003, 05:30:19 PM »
That's one of the reasons I am upgrading slowly to RCBS. I checked the web sites for the warrenties, as I wanted a Saeco lubrisizer. Midway had a good price on them, and had a combo Lyman 450,electric lead pot, and some other goodies for less than the RCBS LAM-2. But the warrenty is hard to beat, and I'm subject to screw things up in grand fashion, so I'll continue on upgrading to RCBS.
 Lloyd, I hope you have good luck! :roll:
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Cheyenne Ranger

now lyman really sucks!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2003, 03:18:51 AM »
My 450 was leaking from the bottom gasket/seal and I sent the body back--a new 4500 showed up with no charge!  Then my other 450 did the same thing and Lyman again sent the 4500 to replace the leaking one.  
Also ordered the new 4500 handles and the lady was very nice on phone.
just me experiences
CR
SASS 48747L
RO II
Thunder River Renegades
SBSS #1170--OGB

Offline HBL

now lyman really sucks!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2003, 07:45:58 AM »
I only use the 450 sizer to Lube my bullets. I found the Lee push through sizer to work more easily and you use your reloading press to do the sizing. It stopped the breaking of bolts on the 450 sizer.

I micrometered the bullets after sizing and heat treating and the bullets for my 44 mag were right on the .430 I sized for.

HBL

:grin:
Gun Control is the Ability to hit what you are aiming at.

Offline Sheriff Bart

now lyman really sucks!
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2003, 12:59:01 PM »
I got my Lyman sizer and a Lyman 55 powder measure from my father in law in 1972.  I don't know the number on the sizer, but it has worked well for over 40 years and has never needed more than O rings.  The 55 is marked for Black and Smokless powders and is mostly brass.  No problems ther either.  I bought most of my Lyman moulds at gun shows used and after lapping have had no problems. I do see that Lyman doesn't offer or stock much now days.

Offline dozer

now lyman really sucks!
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2003, 09:52:37 AM »
LLoyd are you breaking things AGAIN??? :)   You have to stop lubing when the temp in your loading room goes below 10 degrees.  That lube just gets too hard.
Doz (jim c)

Offline Creedmoor

now lyman really sucks!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2003, 12:33:40 PM »
I'm PO'ed at Lyman too!  Following is a copy of a letter I recently sent them to which i have never recieved a reply.  Go RCBS!

I recently got into casting my own bullets for my 38-55 Winchester.  I have always purchased RCBS or Hornady products for my other reloading needs.  However, as Lyman has long been known as the "experts" when it comes to cast bullets, I purchased a mould and set of dies from Lyman for my 38-55.

The mould works beautifully! It drops perfect bullets everytime.  With #2 alloy, they drop out of the mould at a diameter of .379.  I then size them down to .378 and lube them with Lyman Orange Magic.

Everything works as advertised up to this point.   Unfortunately, this is where I throw your dies into the trash or onto the pile of things that don't work right.
You see, your famous "M" die expands the case to .374 and the step, the heart of this unique die, which is supposed to provide a nice entry for the soft lead bullets only measures .377-.378.  That diameter is not sufficient (even assuming the brass doesn't spring back some - which it does) to easily seat bullets measuring .379 as in your 48th manual, or .378 as I'm attempting to use.  It works great for jacketed bullets, but that isn't what I bought these dies for.  They are advertised as the best thing since sliced bread for cast bullets.  However, they don't work at all as they should with cast bullets.

I called about this problem and was merely told to use the next shoulder up on the die which measures .402.  That is a big jump and tends to split cases and/or dramatically shorten their lives - which defeats the purpose of reloading.

Since I can get no real help from you folks, my only alternative is to take the expander plug to a machine shop and have it corrected to the diameter it should have left your factory with.  I believe I shouldn't have to spend additional money to make a product work as it is advertised to do.  Consequently,  I will never buy another Lyman product and will probably just go get a set of RCBS dies for this rifle.  I gave Lyman a try and unfortunately have been very disapointed

Offline Larry Gibson

now lyman really sucks!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2003, 01:19:43 PM »
Creedmoor

From the tone and context of that letter did you really expect a reply?

Larry Gibson

BTW; I've been using Lyman, RCBS, Hornady etc, etc, etc. products for years.  I've had to 'tweak" products of one brand just about as much as any other.  I've had all of 'em break every now and then and I've gotten good customer service out of all of them too.  They all stand behind their products.  If I broke it I expected to pay for it.  If it was defective they paid for it with no problems.  But then I never wrote a letter like Creedmoor's either.