Author Topic: How many cast your own bullets and what cal.  (Read 1334 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
How many cast your own bullets and what cal.
« on: August 25, 2008, 04:46:30 AM »
I have helped a friend cast for a fwe years now and have just started to do them solo , right now I just cast for my 45LC guns but have been thinking about doing some for my 41GNR as well as some .224s .

This can turn into another hobby all unto itself real fast I can see , I know most cast for handgun rounds but has anyone had any luck with rifle bullets or do you just settle for jacketed ?

If so what are you using as far as molds ?

Oh were does it stop !  :o

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Re: How many cast your own bullets and what cal.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 10:17:11 AM »
I started casting a year and a half ago.  Currently have molds for my .45 colt, .357 marlin and my wife's snubby,  I also did some for my 7-08 handi rifle too, and in the past for a .41 mag Blackhawk I used to own.  I use mostly Lee molds, just so that I can experiment with designs more.  One place you may want to check out is the cast boolits website, it's a wealth of info, however you will have to watch your wallet as they run group buys on "have to have" designs that you did not realize you needed.  castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php  The molds I have used are the Lee 7mm, Saeco #71, 7mm soup can and a Lyman mold but can't remember the number for it since I borrowed it.  For the .45 I have a Lyman 454424, and the Lee 255 rf, In .38 cal. there is the Lee 125 rf, 158 rf, 148 TL WC, and two group buys from cast boolits- a .358 Keith made by Lee and a 180 rfgc by NEI.  The .41 I used was a Lee 210 TL SWC.  I posted the results of the Saeco mold in my handi rifle in the NEF forum, but it doesn't seem as if many people make their own since I did not recieve that great of a response.  Good luck Rich!

~Amos

"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline stimpylu32

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 11:21:15 AM »
Amos

Thanks buddy , I have been helping a friend cast a awhile now , mostly keeping the 50 pound pot filled and clean up , ect . I have learned a ton and did my first 100 solo last night  ;D , they were 255g SWC's for my 45LC's .

I like shooting cast and want to get to were most of my bullets are cast ( pistols anyhow ) so this is just the next step I guess . Mostly I just wondered if I was a lone ranger on this or if others were going this route ?

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline BIG Dog454

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 11:48:29 AM »
.54 Maxi .54 rb .59rb, .452- 170gr Hp 230grrn, 239gr rnhp 255 fn, 310fn., 323 170grgc, .310 180 grrngc, .265 can't rem gr, lost my .257 60gr hp in shipping to a friend.  That's all. For now anyways.  Just came up with about a 1000 lbs of range lead, that will be my cool weather project to make it into ingots and hope to turn some of it into shot.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 01:27:06 PM »
 Rifles 22,6.5, 270, 30, 35,  Pistols 357, 44, 45   Yes casting is another whole new game, I've kind of quit lately because there is more hunting and fishing than I can keep up with at my new home base. Don't be afraid of Lee stuff for the most part it works good, I am especially enamored with their 6 cavity for pistols. The makers of other multi cavity molds are a little too proud of them in my opinion.

Offline Turk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 09:52:16 AM »
I cast the following dia. If I remember it's 29 different styles and dia plus three round balls.  Actually all drop a little larger and I have different sizing dies for the .411, .430 and .451
.355 dia.
.356 dia.
.357 dia.
.358 dia.
.365 dia.
.401 dia.
.410 dia.
.430 dia
.451 dia.
.458 dia.
.475 dia.
.308 dia.

Turk

In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA

Offline jgalar

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 03:14:50 AM »
I'm a milsurp collector and except for my Carcano shoot cast in all of them. I shoot cast in all handgun loads except the 9mm and 9mm Mak. My cast bullets for the 9mm shoot and group well, just not where the jacketed bullets do. My CZ82 has a hex barrel and I have read that cast isn't a good idea. My one and only Carcano was free, but I would need a custom made mold so I don't think it would be cost effective.

I find casting bullets to be a relaxing hobby. When life stinks or I'm in a bad mood I go cast bullets.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 03:31:11 AM »
Jgal

I used to cast for a Carcano, 6.5. Seems to me it was a credible shooter. I suppose you are talking 7.35, but if you are talking about a 6.5 PM me and if I still have that mold maybe I can get it to you for the cost of shipping.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 04:17:46 AM »
I used to do a lot of bullet casting but seem to have gotten out of the habit and haven't cast a bullet now in several years. I am still set up to do it and likely will again eventually. I have a rather large stock of moulds to cast for 7MM, .30 caliber, .32 caliber, .357/.358, .429", .452"/.458" and .475" that I can think of right off the top of my head.

I really do prefer to shoot bullets I make myself I just hate to take the time to do it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 12:56:52 PM »
I could have written what Graybeard just posted!
I got into casting back in the 80's shooting IHMSA. A buddy won a RCBS electric pot at a RMEF banquet as a doorprize. He had some molds and I had some time. The rest is history. After about 15 years and moving a bit, I basically stored everything and have lately got a little of it out and cleaned up. Rebuilt my Lyman 450 Lubrisizer, and just getting prepped. Now the wife wants to move again, but this time just across town. Whew! Molds have been from Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Saeco, and NEI. Lee gave me the most frustrations. NEI worked the easiest. Lyman and RCBS have been totally reliable and consistent. The Saeco is the only gang-mold I have, and it works fine. It throws a Keith-style 265gr PB 45Colt bullet that my Bisley Blackhawk simply loves. Don't have any guns that don't shoot at least fair with my cast stuff. I've gotten some bullets from other posters in styles I don't have and am enjoying giving them a go. My Dad shoots my Lyman 31141 182gr FP in his 30-06 about three times as much as any jacketed bullets. My last Elk took a 'flying wheelweight' from my Win Mod94 32WSPCL. These also shoot well in my 8x57 carbine. I used to have an NEI 264 mold that cast 139gr bullets for my long departed 6.5TCU. I still have some leftover that are finding there way into my 6.5 Swede.
There is a lot to be said about 'stress relief' and this is a great hobby to get absorbed in. There is always something to learn and some other piece or mold that is a 'must-have'! LOL
Don't be afraid to cast for rifles. It's all the same issues as handguns and you just research and develop the loads that work for you. There is always at least one there, and you just have to find it.

Good luck!!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline stimpylu32

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 01:38:16 PM »
This is going to cost me a ton of money , I can tell already , up to 3 pots and 7 diffrent molds .

I blame each and everyone of you for this !  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 06:57:10 PM »
We have big shoulders! Bring it on!! LOL! Welcome to the fraternity!
It's a great club, and the membership is always open!

Just when we think we know it all, someone comes up with the answer to a question we didn't know we had, that had really been bugging us.

When I get stuff unpacked again, I'll see what is expendable in the mold department. I know there is some 357/358 stuff for handguns that I probably don't have a need for anymore, like a really nice Lyman 2 cavity that throws a swc @ 214gr. It worked great on rams at 200meters on the silhouette range; I preferred it in 38spl cases for my 357mag. It doesn't work well in my 356W - just doesn't feed right. Wants to stovepipe, no matter what length I seat it to. I think there is a nearly new RCBS 41mag mold with the swc @ 210gr configuration. Not sure if I'll need it or not. Getting my heart set on an LBT 220gr mold for my 41's. I should swap stuff around and just have the few I really use and sell off the extras. Just don't have the time to play with it all.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 12:59:37 PM »
Like Sweetwater, started casting back in the '80's for IHMSA. Even back then, 2,000 to 3,000 bullets a year was expensive. I still cast .22 for my Hornet, although as I get older, getting those .22 gas checks just right when sizing, is a little bit harder to line up. 7mm for my XP, .270 for my rifle, .38/.357, .375 for my DW and Win.Big Bore, and .44 for my DW's,(.44 and the .445).  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline stimpylu32

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 01:41:01 PM »
Its all your faults  ;D , I got more stuff last night from another buddy .

A new Lyman 40g .224 mold - single cav. 
2 new sets of Lyman handles
a .452 round ball mold - single cav
a new Lyman 300g .454 mold - single cav.
a used Lyman Lube / Sizer with .452 & .309 sleeve's
a new lead ladle
500 .224 GCs
a new Lyman 150g .308 mold - single cav.
and lastly - 4 sticks of Lyman lube for the sizer .

All that for $30 , ya that's right $30 , and he felt bad about charging me that much , man I have some great friends . All I need to do is cast him some bullets .   ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline blackpowderbill

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 02:07:27 PM »
.575, 596gr Minies for my p1858 Naval rifle
.458, 500gr for NEF 45-70
.454, 200gr for Colt .45
.401. 196gr semi WC for 40S&W [bowling pin load]
.310, 173gr for 30-40 and 30-06
People are like slinkies, they serve no purpose yet they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 03:31:11 AM »
Hey Stimpylu32, you better hope this friend of your's doesn't decide to get a divorce. You might get more than you bargained for!! :D gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline stimpylu32

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 11:32:22 AM »
Hey Stimpylu32, you better hope this friend of your's doesn't decide to get a divorce. You might get more than you bargained for!! :D gypsyman

If he keeps making me deals like that , he's more than welcome to a stall in the heated 3 car GA-RODGE or even a spot in the BASEMENT !  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »
Hey Stimpy-

I'd give him the suite over the garage complete with a vent fan for the casting fumes!! LOL!! He's gonna need something to keep his hands busy and his mind off of what's happening....just suppossing!!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 02:56:51 PM »
Stimpy, I was thinking he might try and pawn off what might be his ex wife!! gypsyman

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 07:57:46 AM »
Casting for 308,358,4429,457 all LEE except the 358 which I no longer have a rifle for.
Results are mixed as far as quality and accuracy go.

Every time I think I will use them for hunting, I chicken out. There are very few chances of actually seeing something to hunt so I keep loading with jacketed bullets during the season.
 I have bougth two different commercial cast bullets. both from Magma molds. The 458 doesn't work worth a @#$ in my 45-70. The other is a very pointy hard cast 7mm and I can't see that as an effective hunting bullets on big game.

If I was in a game rich, long season,liberal amount of tag places like some of you guys are :-*, I would probably try some of my home made stuff.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.