Author Topic: Reminigton problem  (Read 1177 times)

Offline coltshooter2

• Trade Count: (0)
Reminigton problem
« on: August 18, 2008, 04:00:59 PM »
My Remington copy is shredding caps when fired--they are completely ripped up. I am afraid of injuring other reenactors with the fragments. I was wondering if it is it the CCI #10 caps or a problem with the pistol. My son's 36 Navy and our neighbor's 44 Navy are doing it occasionally, but mine does it every round.

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
Re: Reminigton problem
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 06:46:27 PM »
     Most cap and ball revolvers have the nipple set into a mortise, and the hammer is configured to trap most particles.  Of course, we know some get out, so we always wear eye protection.
     In a reenactment situation, I suppose shooting glasses aren't too authentic, so they are not used.
     I would try to locate some Remington caps, and see if they hold together better.  If not, cut down on your powder charge, which would decrease the amount of gasses exiting the flash hole in the nipple.
     If all else fails, maybe the flash holes have eroded, and new nipples are in order.
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline coltshooter2

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 09:48:35 AM »
Thanks--going to get new nipples and get away from CCI stuff. It is already known to give problems when using their musket caps, they are too hot.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 12:07:05 PM »
Since you say the gun is a COPY of a Remington Patent gun and is NOT made by Remington why in the world do you use a subject line that says REMINGTON PROBLEM? You don't even have a REMINGTON much less a Remington problem.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Flint

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 07:11:47 PM »
So it is apparently an Uberti Outlaw problem.......  There is not enough offset due to the short cylinder, the gas ring is too short, and apparently shorter now than it was some years ago before Uberti lengthened the cylinder a bit, as it was too close to the length of the 45 Colt and 44WCF loaded cartridge, and were subject to locking up if the lead protruded from the front of the cylinder.

Other than a lot of lube in large lube grooves, there is not a lot you can do besides Ballistol Moosemilk or Windex to keep it going.  If you think it's bad, try a converted "58".
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Riot Earp

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 10:51:37 AM »
Since you say the gun is a COPY of a Remington Patent gun and is NOT made by Remington why in the world do you use a subject line that says REMINGTON PROBLEM? You don't even have a REMINGTON much less a Remington problem.

I do this frequently.

Offline NozzleRag

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 11:06:38 AM »
TRESO nipples and #10 Remingtons. Keep you powder charge in the 25 gr rangfe and problems will go away.
I call the copies "Remingtons" as well