Author Topic: Marsilly carriage for 1857 Napoleon  (Read 3670 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Re: Marsilly carriage for 1857 Napoleon
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2008, 01:50:43 AM »
 Very sorry for your loss Terry. We recently had to put our cat of 22 years down. She was also a 'Tuxedo' like Bubba.

With my Wife, two decades ago...

And our young one (Swirl) that my Wife adopted for me. I was more than a little depressed after Cat (her 'legal' name) passed away...

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2008, 05:14:29 PM »
A point I forgot to mention: I oiled the wood inside due to the weather, that made me real popular with the lady of the house! Still dreary weather today, but it's supposed to fair up in a couple of days.

Well take her to dinner and maybe she'll get over it...oh, you really do mean the weather.

I'd meant to reply to your post, but my attention was elsewhere. It was a rough few days.

Both the weather and her demeanor have improved considerably. At least now that I've stopped sawing/drilling/sanding/oiling in the house (for now).

You have to take into consideration that this is a woman that considers 'vacuuming' a hobby. She's not much into my cannons, except to make sure that I keep them clean and neatly displayed.

Although she did get into the spirit of things (temporarily) and help with the posing of the pirates for the photo. She's also a bit miffed that I spent all that time getting this carriage ready in time for the Halloween display and now it's off ("I told you so!").

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2008, 06:20:11 PM »
Terry,

I'll try and help you out here, go back up thread and check you pirates in the pumpkin patch post...shower her that!  Kewpie's are not given out frivilously.

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2008, 02:35:59 PM »
Just a quick heads-up on the direction this project will post-Halloween...

This is the 'Coffin Lid Project':

The Coffin Lid is a shooting platform. Right now it's still in the design phase. The next step is to lay out the rigging and determine what additional hardware I need, and where on the carriage it should be mounted. The tackle will anchor just forward of the 'shoulders' of the lid, the breeching will attach at the forward corners.

This platform will not have legs (at least not in the beginning), it's designed to attach to a shooting bench. As drawn here, it's 36" long and 18" wide at the shoulders.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2008, 03:28:12 PM »
how do you make those fancy drawings ??
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2008, 04:49:53 PM »

Terry what is your source for the fancy eybolts?

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 02:50:10 PM »
Dan, I use 2-D CAD software. Specifically, CadPro 4.0.

It's cheap, simple but advanced enough for my needs, and doesn't require a supercomputer to run.

If you've never used a CAD program, you should really try it. The basics of 2-D are fairly easy to learn, a knowledge of pen&ink drafting and geometry (and trigonometry if possible) are desireable but not absolutely necessary.

DD, the eyenuts were ordered from Bo'sun Supplies Company, a marine hardware supplier.

They aren't cheap, but these are less than half what they would cost me at a local boat dealership (and they would've had to order them in).

I'm going to need a couple more.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Forged eye bolts
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2008, 04:31:15 PM »
MSC is another source of forged eyebolts.  The link no longer points directly to the eye bolt page but you can enter "eye bolts" in the search field and it will find them.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2008, 09:53:51 AM »
noooo never tested any cad.
or what to say   ::)

I have the autocad r 14 , not even registered in any name yet .
new in box , just installed it once a few years ago , tried for two days to put an straight line where I want it to be . what I would need is an much much more user friendly program .
I dont need all those bells and whistles , would be enough if it could draw straigt lines between two points and place some circles and radiuses where I want them .
so if anyone need an professional autocad r 14 , just tell me .
or if anyone can tell me where I can download an time limited test version of an extremely user friendly cad program , just need the absolute basic functions and almost not all of them . I dont like to spend any more big money on something thats totaly useless for me .
Im an total idiot when it comes to computers , when I was in school we still used stone boards , hammer and chissel   ;D
but ok it would be nice to be able to create an basic drawing , when sitting with paper and pencil it never be totaly perfect in dimensions , can look good , but when I see it drawn in cad I can see proportions and similar things that aint correct . much easier if I could do the changes during the designing process .
but I feel like I was 8 000 years to old to learn such thing  :'(
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2008, 10:22:55 AM »
just got another idea . 
the program is almost free for anyone who will do the drawings for me , I even pay the shipping fee .
it will just be a few designs each year .
the only cost for you will be to buy me the drawing set number 12 from the antique ordnance publisher and send it to me ( $16 + shipping )
I make sketches , take high resolution photos , email to you with explenations if neccesary and you make the drawings . and changings .
if anyone is interested send me an email  :    dan610324@hotmail.com
but I prefer that its someone with a little more experiance in cad drawing then me   ;D
then you also will be the first who have access to my designs and are free to use them for non comercial use , to build for yourself , but not to sell or give away , not even the drawings without my written permit , and that will be difficult to have   ;D
to be honest I already got an sketch waiting .
I dont want to many samples of my design . I want them produced just in very limited numbers .
mass production can the chinese do   ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry