Author Topic: Just got a Deal on the 44 mag/12 gauge slug barrel H&R  (Read 694 times)

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
Just got a Deal on the 44 mag/12 gauge slug barrel H&R
« on: October 30, 2008, 05:11:04 PM »
 Heya Guys been a while ,

I just got a call from my brother today that his buddy at work was interested in my Rossi 7.62x39 rifle  .....Hmmmmm   ok , Wasnt really looking to get rid of it i thought

Well his buddy had bought a new H&R 44mag with the 12 gauge slug barrel combo but it didnt come with the iron sights that he was told it would have , He is a strictly iron sights kinda guy that hunts wild hogs alot

So i can understand why he was a little bent that there was no irons on either of these barrels on his new purchase ... Anyways long story short i traded the rossi and a $100 bill for the gun and slug barrel..  I know Wo0T Me ! heh

What im wanting is some of the massive collective knowledge of my handy brothers in recommended factory ammo and maybe a little hint or two on bullet weights that this 44 might favor .

As for the 12 gauge slug barrel just consider me a No0b on that front , This one is my first so any good info on that item would be nice

Thanks in advance ,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline xhare

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Just got a Deal on the 44 mag/12 gauge slug barrel H&R
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 09:33:11 AM »
I am assuming that you do not have the Ultra-Slug barrel.  If so your slug gun will be very light.  Recoil will be up there.  If you do have the ultra slug, then it wont fit the same receiver as the 44 mag barrel anyway.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 10:55:40 AM »
I am not aware of any H&R/NEF 12 gauge slug barrel that does not come with iron sights unless it is an USH barrel. Canyou give us a little more info on the slug barrel? Length, any markings on the chamber area, is it drilled and tapped for a scope rail or is there a scope rail on it since there are no iron sights on it? What is the aiming system that the slug barrel is set up for?....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 01:57:05 PM »
Yeah it is super light ... had the missus hold it and she liked the weight but i know the recoil is going to be brutal ... the combo package is listed on H&R's site http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Combos/handislug.asp 
 Neither have iron sights and the slug barrels scope rail is perma-mounted , so iron isnt an option with that barrel ... That of course doesnt bother me in the least , I really just wanted the 44 mag to mate up with my super black hawk ..The slug barrel was just a perk out of the deal.

I should have been more specific  ... Was mainly tryin to find out with the twist rate of the 44 handi's barrel what weight grain it might favor over others in that caliber and what powders would be good options to look at for ringin the most out of this platform.
 And what factory offerings for the slug barrel that might keep me from having to buy $100 worth of slugs
 I reload , and have lead 240gr , JHP 240 gr and 300 gr for the 44
 Only slugs i have on tap atm are the cheap remmie rifled kind that i experimented with in my stage coach sxs shottie

oh and before i forget the H&R is a HY prefix if this help you guys at all.

Thanks in advance ,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 02:27:04 PM »
Can't help ya with the slug barrel, there's more info on it in the NEF/H&R Shotgun forum, but the 44mag has a 1:38" twist, 240gr -300gr should work fine, the 300gr XTP worked fairly well in the old overbore barrels with max loads.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jw83

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 02:35:25 PM »
mine shoots the winchester white box ammo pretty good. I think it is a 240 grain. Mainly been shooting reloaded .44 specials out of it just for plinkin. Haven't really tested many mag loads in it yet.

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 04:24:16 PM »
See i knew quick would find this thread eventually hehe
 Good to know about the 240's and 300's , and yeah JDub the Winnie white box is usually 240 ... took a deer with those out of my old ruger deerfield 44 and was quite impressed by the tennis ball exit   ;)

I'll take your advise and ask the shotgunners in that forum

Thanks again guys ,

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 06:08:45 PM »
I woulda replied sooner, but I was deer huntin today!! ;D No luck tho, just got my butt wet!  :-\

Tim

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 07:02:57 PM »
 Well atleast your still getting out there Tim ... when it starts letting loose , look for those low hanging cedar patches ... Deer like those while its raining
 Had a doe already show up for me during the muzzle loader season

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 04:55:47 AM »
Thanks, but I've seen lots of does, can't shoot them or I woulda tagged out the first day!! ;)

Tim