Author Topic: 300 Weatherby cast load questions????  (Read 398 times)

Offline Justice Trimble

• Trade Count: (0)
300 Weatherby cast load questions????
« on: November 04, 2008, 12:19:04 AM »
 :)

Hi Guys,

I have a quick question for you all.  I'm trying to load some reduced 300 Weatherby loads.  I was reading my Lyman book and it suggested cast bullet loads of 170, 190, and 210 grains.  However, I don't have any at the time.  I only have 180 Hornady BTSP.  My question is this:

1.  Can I substitute the Hornady 180's for the cast bullet loads with the same recommendations for powders, etc?

2.  Will that affect pressures at all?

I would like to use these Hornady's but am just a little leary of it since I'm not familiar with working up light loads like this. 

What is your experience with this?  And do you recommend it?

Thanks for your time and advice!!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: 300 Weatherby cast load questions????
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 12:22:34 AM »
you have to be carefull with reduced loads using jacketed bullets. If you go to low they will stick in the barrel. Other then that if you just looking for a 2000 fps load that will be the equivelent of a 3030 i dont know why they wouldnt work. One other problem you may have by going that low is most .30 bullets are designed for more velocity and may not expand if shot that low. If you want to do it right pick up some 3030 bullets.
blue lives matter

Offline Justice Trimble

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 300 Weatherby cast load questions????
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 12:45:51 AM »
Hey Thanks,

I never thought about the 30-30 bullets.  That's a great idea.  I'll have to get me some while my cast bullets are on order. 

Thanks.