Author Topic: Using BH209 with a 25 ACP ignition  (Read 662 times)

Offline MI.sabot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Using BH209 with a 25 ACP ignition
« on: December 26, 2008, 07:17:13 AM »
Has anyone done any testing using BH209 with a 25ACP ignition system?

The Blackhorn site indicates that it needs to be used with 209 primers and:

DO NOT USE THESE PRIMERS:
• #11 Percussion Cap
• Musket Cap
Rifle or pistol primers
• Remington Kleenbore Muzzleloading Primers
• Winchester Triple Se7en Muzzleloading Primers
• CCI MZL Primers
• Federal Fusion 209 Muzzleloading Primers

I'm currently using small rifle primers and 777 in my 25ACP converted NEF Sidekick with outstanding accuracy.  I'd like to try the BH209 but have concerns if the small rifle primers will be adequate for consistent ignition or even if magnum or large rifle primers are viable options.

In my case, reverting back to the not-so-user-friendly NEF breachplug and primer carrier system would seem to outweigh any potential benefits in using BH209.

Thanks

H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline Keith Lewis

• A Real Regular
Re: Using BH209 with a 25 ACP ignition
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 10:47:59 AM »
I do not think the rifle primers will do a job in colder weather. They might work when it is warm and you use magnum primers. I think some have used them with questionable results. As far as going with the stock NEF primer carriers they do not work with BH209 well either as the seal is not solid enough for consistent ignition. My NEF is going to be left for 777 or Black Mag'3.

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 11:10:05 AM »
Thanks Keith.  I think I'll just stick with what's been working well so far.
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline sabotloader

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 04:47:59 PM »
MI.sabot

For what it is worth I have shot Bh from my Omega with the 25 ACP conversion.  The small rifle primers are marginal but with Small Rifle Magnum primers I have not had any sort of problem, but this has been a limitied experiment.  Maybe 25/30 shots - but I, at this point, have not had any problems.
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - they are a blast....

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 06:48:47 PM »
MI Sabot,

My experience with the .25 ACP in the Huntsman using BH209 is pretty much the same as sabotloaders. Small Rfle Primers (CCI 400) would give me a slight delayed fire, I could hear the hammer strike just a fraction of a second before ignition. The Small Rifle MAGNUM Primers (CCI 450) were much better, great ignition with tight sabots, but delayed and hang-fires with the Hormady FPB's. This was in much milder temps than what our muzzleloader season is, so take that into consideration as I haven't tried them in weather below probably 70 degrees or so. I have the Hubbard 209 plug for shooting BH209 in my Huntsman.

I would say the .25 ACP even with MAGNUM primers would be borderline at best in the 0-20 degree typical weather of our muzzleloader season. Only one way to find out, and that is to shoot the load you want in the weather you will be hunting in. Personally, I'll use the Hubbard plug with Federal 209A primers. If they won't light it, nothing will IMO.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 03:16:05 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. Your responses lead to another question:

Have you ever experienced any problems with the 25 ACP when using Small Rifle Primers and 777 when temperatures have been in the 0 - 20 degree range?

So far the deer taken with my 25 ACP Sidekick have been when it's been around 30 degrees outside and it's gone bang each time.  I have not shot in any extreme cold weather situations. 

Knowing these conditions are highly likely to exist during the ML season here in Michigan, is there any benefit to just sight in using either small MAGNUM primers or FFFg or both?

CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline Keith Lewis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 04:54:34 AM »
Busta: I think you should mention that the Hubbard plug that you have is not available anymore as some will think they can just go get one. If I am not mistaken yours is one of the original experiments that Hubbard decided to not make any more of. I followed this pretty close as I have a Huntsman with the .25ACP plug but have not tried it with BH209 as yet. In Arizona I might just be OK as our weather is rarely below 20 degrees F where I hunt when I can get drawn for a tag (not this year again).

MI Sabot,

I would say the .25 ACP even with MAGNUM primers would be borderline at best in the 0-20 degree typical weather of our muzzleloader season. Only one way to find out, and that is to shoot the load you want in the weather you will be hunting in. Personally, I'll use the Hubbard plug with Federal 209A primers. If they won't light it, nothing will IMO.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 05:07:11 AM »
MI.sabot,

I have never had a problem with 777 and the .25 ACP plug using standard Small Rifle Primers (CCI 400) in any weather/temperature. I like the 777 FFFG for the conicals, and FFG for the saboted bullets. Never seen the need for the Small Rifle MAGNUM Primers for 777 powder, the standard ones worked just fine.

Kieth,

Ben told me he wasn't going to make any more, but I heard that he did make some more after that. I don't know for sure, but that is what I have been told. I read a post the other day that the poster said he might be making more. Only one way to find out for sure, and that is to call him. Their website was down the last time I checked.

I'm not sure what Ben is going to do, if you want one, you might want to call him and ask. I ahven't talked to him since he told me he wasn't going to make any more. I waited 5 years to get mine, it is better than any other option fro BH209, but could be bettter yet if headspaced off the front of the primer instead of the rim.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member