Author Topic: The war drum beats.  (Read 1159 times)

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
The war drum beats.
« on: October 30, 2008, 08:34:50 AM »
Talk of going to war with Russia or china in french papers and chinese news. I hope not.    http://www.prisonplanet.com/rand-lobbies-pentagon-start-war-to-save-us-economy.html

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: The war drum beats.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 10:13:53 AM »
Talk of going to war with Russia or china in french papers and chinese news. I hope not.    http://www.prisonplanet.com/rand-lobbies-pentagon-start-war-to-save-us-economy.html

This seems pretty unlikely in my opinion.  The US doesn't go to war cheap these days, and with foreign contractors supplying so much a lot of that cost doesn't get invested back into our own economy.

Not to mention that JAPAN is named as a possible target.  WWII was a LONG time ago.  Japan is about as buddy-buddy with us these days as two countries get.  They have a minuscule military and import and consume our cultural exports at astounding rates.  It's one of the few places Americans can go these days and NOT get the "We hate you." glare.  As long as you stay out of their high end sushi places anyways.  Sometimes they get annoyed at amateurs there :).

China is equally unlikely.  We're not at all on the friendly terms with them as we are with Japan, but China is a HUGE superpower.  They rival ourselves here.  Neither side there wants to go to war because it wouldn't be one of these little stomp everything into the ground campaigns like any of our stuff in the last 20 years.  It wouldn't even be like Vietnam.  Messing with China is serious because that's a war where we might just lose.  Not certain either way, and I think we would probably persevere, but it would DEVASTATE both countries involved.  I can guarantee that battles would be fought on American soil in such a conflict.  Things go badly there and rather than be arguing about when we pull out we'll be fighting to keep our independence again.

Russia is also not bright.  Not as strong as they used to be, but still a huge country with lots of resources.  Most importantly (and this is the case for China too), Russia has nuclear weapons.  We do too.  We've never had a major war between two nuclear powers, and I think both sides are weary to ever see one come about.  There's a reason the Cold War stayed cold - both sides were terrified of what might happen if it actually turned into a real conflict.

Overall it just seems to be a bit of a conspiracy theory.  Bored people like to come up with outlandish things because it brings attention (and in the Internet age, attention means revenue).

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 10:17:55 AM »
it's been awhile, mg.  where you been hiding?

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 10:26:03 AM »
it's been awhile, mg.  where you been hiding?

Mostly just busy with work.  I haven't been out shooting much for the last month or two and typically as I shoot less I'll just end up visiting shooting related sites less.  I bought a new rifle last Friday though (a Savage 340), went to the range on Saturday, and that renewed interested brought me back here again ;).

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 01:18:15 PM »
Load of hogwash

Troy
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 04:29:47 PM »
JUST STUPID IDEA.  china has too many people to defeat and no one beats the Russians on their territory just ask Napoleon and Hitler, they practice a scorched earth retreat until you supply lines are so long they don't work, then winter sets in
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 05:42:51 PM »
The French can hardly be considered as credible for anything except deserts !!  ;D
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 03:55:22 AM »
ms, whether anyone here can grasp the idea or not, the Chinese major medias and France, and I believe Germany and Russia, are concerned about the U.S. doing an attack. I have not watched your video, but listen to a lot of shortwave talk radio.
The Rand Corporation has been lobbying for such a move for months, and claim it is the only way to avoid a full blown Depression. World War II is what brought us out of the 30s Depression. War grows an economy, and that is a fact.
Late in the game now, we see the U.S. Commanders being more bold by going into Pakistan and now Syrian land and making attacks. This is not making us new friends, but will expand the conflict no doubt. It is not an accident it is happening now.
Now, whether the U.S. does what they are talking about is know only by our government. And they certainly won't be checking with any of us to see if we approve.
Hints have been given and hints have been missed. This is obvious.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 04:11:08 AM »
I could see us attacking Iran, Syria, or even North Korea depending on whoever gets elected.  Russia still has a huge nuclear force.  40% of everything China makes goes to the US, but value wise it is only about 15% of everything we import.  So a war with China will hurt them far more than us.  However, we could get in a scrape over Taiwan. 

Iran is another issue.  It is slightly larger than Alaska and has 65 million people.  A non-nuclear war with them could tie us down for quite some time.  We are already in position to attack with troops in Iraq starting to pull out and redeploy to Afganistan.  With allies north, east, and west of Iran, and the sea in the south, we already have them surrounded.  Also, Japan is one of our allies in Iraq and had deployed some forces in a peacekeeping roll there.  Nato is already in Afganistan. 

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 10:20:43 AM »
  Frankly; I don't see either US, China, or Russia voluntarily making war on each other..too risky, never can tell how far it would go. The only wars I could visualize in the forseeable future, are some sponsored by idiots like the leaders of Iran, Venezuela or N Korea. It is possible that there could be a Russia/pan-Arab alliance stirring up trouble. They may even attack Israel, if they perceive our leaders to be weaklings !
   Remember, Joe Biden said that if BHO is elected ..we can expect an extreme challenge within 6 months, and he hopes people will still love Obama when he does what they don't like. Does that mean he wouldn't challenge a Russian/arab takeover of Israel ? Or does it mean that Obama is ready to give Russia and his Muslim brothers permission to do so...sticking with the muslims as he promised; "should the politics turn ugly" ?

future
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 05:26:23 PM »
  Frankly; I don't see either US, China, or Russia voluntarily making war on each other..too risky, never can tell how far it would go. The only wars I could visualize in the forseeable future, are some sponsored by idiots like the leaders of Iran, Venezuela or N Korea. It is possible that there could be a Russia/pan-Arab alliance stirring up trouble. They may even attack Israel, if they perceive our leaders to be weaklings !
   Remember, Joe Biden said that if BHO is elected ..we can expect an extreme challenge within 6 months, and he hopes people will still love Obama when he does what they don't like. Does that mean he wouldn't challenge a Russian/arab takeover of Israel ? Or does it mean that Obama is ready to give Russia and his Muslim brothers permission to do so...sticking with the muslims as he promised; "should the politics turn ugly" ?

I meant what I said about France, but other than that a War could occur, sad to say. But I think the things you mention are more likely. If you listen close to Osama, he has never said that he would defend Israel has a an ally, I believe he would not.

future
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 06:30:43 PM »

The Rand Corporation has been lobbying for such a move for months, and claim it is the only way to avoid a full blown Depression. World War II is what brought us out of the 30s Depression. War grows an economy, and that is a fact.
Late in the game now, we see the U.S. Commanders being more bold by going into Pakistan and now Syrian land and making attacks. This is not making us new friends, but will expand the conflict no doubt. It is not an accident it is happening now.

[/quote] Really WAR GROWS THE ECONOMY. we have two going now they must be defective.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 11:51:13 AM »

Really WAR GROWS THE ECONOMY. we have two going now they must be defective.
[/quote]

You've missed the point of the concept of entering a LARGER theater of war. I am not surprised. ;)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 12:29:02 PM »
  If BHO wins and the Dems take over both houses..no need to worry about war drums..they will be breaking out the white flags of surrender. Then, when we are finally forced into war..young liberals can do their share of combat duty. :D ;D ::) ;D :o :D ;D
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)