Author Topic: New Optima Elite range report  (Read 853 times)

Offline BCall

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Avid Poster
New Optima Elite range report
« on: November 11, 2008, 12:58:45 PM »
Well, I just got my new OE this past weekend, and was anxious to get to shooting, so some time on the range today was fun. I got a new blued/black stock .50/.243 combo. Mounted up scopes last night, and off to my Dad's range for some shooting today. The .50 was shooting between 1-3" with my first loads, using BH209 Win primers and 340 gr dead center sabots. I will try some shockwaves next trip, but it really is showing some promise. I only got to shoot about 20 rounds today, so I think I can improve it with some more work. The .243 barrel really surprised me. Deer season here starts Sat, so I knew I would not have enough time to work up a load, so I just bought a box of cheap PRVI 100 gr ammo to shoot and get it on paper. Shot that box up with 3 shot groups running between 1- 1 1/2" at 100m. Was really pleased that the gun shot so well out of the box with no work and inexpensive ammo. Hope to have some more testing done after the season is over. Not ready for any 250 yd deer shots, but anything inside 150(about the longest shot I ever see anyway) will be in trouble. Have to say I had a fun day, and was very pleased with the performance I was getting. Thanks, Billy

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Re: New Optima Elite range report
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 02:21:29 PM »
Mine likes the  100 and the 80 gr.corlokts,with 3 of the five shots going into nearly 1 hole,and the other 2 would open up to 1". If I sort the brass and keep the ones that go into the same hole,it turns into a near 1/4" 100 yd. gun,with the 65 gr. vmax's. I use the 243 for praire dogs,and it always blows them completly into,even at 300 yds. I have a 222 barrel also,and it shoots as well,or even better than the 243. I shot my 45 70 barrel today with some pretty hot loads ( Ruger loads) and it was shooting 1" and less at 100 Yds.  I think you're going to like your gun.    Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline BCall

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Avid Poster
Re: New Optima Elite range report
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 04:02:09 PM »
I believe I'm going to really like it. I'm already planning on buying a 222 barrel for it. I had thought about buying a .223 barrel and having it reamed out to 220 swift, but after shooting it today, I think I'm going to see how the .243 shoots the 55 & 70 gr Nosler's or the 58 & 65 gr a-max's first. We'll see how it goes once deer season ends. Thanks, Billy