Author Topic: range report  (Read 1077 times)

Offline billy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
range report
« on: October 31, 2008, 01:06:43 AM »
Well i got to shoot my new model 70 today and it shoots as good as it looks.Shot at 25 yards and dialed it in  then moved out to 80 yards and had a 5 shot group in a 1 1/2 by 1 inch group with a dirty barrel not to bad ,i,m very happy with it so far.
I enjoy collecting guns, swaping and staying up on all the newest models. I deer, quail, squirrel and rabbit hunt.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: range report
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 03:40:26 AM »
That roughly correlates to 1.875" at 100 yards. Hardly bragging size. Adequate for most shots the majority of us make on game but certainly not what I expect from my guns these days. It is however right in line with what I've seen in the few magazine reports.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline billy

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 10:42:05 AM »
I think it will do better with a little more work , that was with one load 130 grain federal premium,good enough to hunt with for now.
I enjoy collecting guns, swaping and staying up on all the newest models. I deer, quail, squirrel and rabbit hunt.

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 06:01:11 AM »
I think it will do better with a little more work , that was with one load 130 grain federal premium,good enough to hunt with for now.

Thanks for the report Billy. I too feel that you will see vast improvements in accuracy as you get to know your new rifle better and experiment with different loads.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline kgarner

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 02:55:12 PM »
I would be proud of that group .Keep it up.

Offline billy

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 02:55:32 PM »
Went back to shoot today and fine tune my model 70 and got three shots in a one inch sq.,very pleased with that ,was shooting at 75 yards 1/2 high and dead on .

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 05:09:12 PM »
Yup now that's the kinda groups you're looking for. I'm always happy with any big game rifle that can keep them under an inch and ya really don't even need that for the hunting most of us do but it does boost confidence to know it can.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline billy

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 03:36:31 PM »
Your right Graybeard,,very happy with this rifle. it always help when they shoot that good

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 07:09:57 AM »
Went back to shoot today and fine tune my model 70 and got three shots in a one inch sq., very pleased with that, was shooting at 75 yards 1/2 high and dead on.

There you go Billy!
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 11:04:38 AM »
To my eyes the Winchester Model 70 Featherweight especially those since '64 has always been one of the most beautiful rifles ever made. I've never owned a model 70 tho altho I did for a short time own a model 670 in .30-06.

My cousin who used to be my shooting and running buddy for many years especially in the days of our youth got one of the pre change guns in .30-06 in his early teens I don't recall just when but we were both born in '45 so it was likely in the late '50s. I wanted one badly after seeing and shooting his and asked for one for Christmas that year.

Instead my always elcheapo parents got me a half sporterized Mauser in 7x57. It was one of the major disappointments of my childhood. It still had the military sights and straight bolt. I hated that rifle and never did kill anything with it. I eventually sold it to a friend who thought he wanted it for $10 and do not in any way regret that deal.

Who knows had I gotten that Model 70 that year for Christmas I might have owned mostly Winchesters since rather than primarily all Remington rifles. Had I learned that three position safety rather than the Remington sliding safety it is likely what I'd have stayed with just as I have stayed with the sliding safety I learned so well.

The closest I ever came to owning a Winchester was one day in Moody, AL when I went into a gunstore there and saw a featherweight on the shelf at a decent price. I have long since forgotten the caliber of it but it was one I wasn't interested in at the time and that along stopped me from buying it. That was early enough in my gun buying career that had I picked it up it too could have changed the path my gun buying took all these years. I guess it just was not to be that I be a Winchester guy and fate dealt me a different hand and I have bought Remington rifles ever since.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline billy

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 11:34:12 AM »
Graybeard ,i have owned 3 Remington  700 bolt guns over the years and everyone was a shooter why i sold or traded them is a wonder to me. But like so many guys i know we trade and sell when we should keep them and save a little money.