Author Topic: What sights for the new AR?  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: What sights for the new AR?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2008, 01:01:53 PM »
Saw a camo EOTech holosight today. Now that sure would look nice sitting atop my Remmy R15. I think this is what I'll go with for now. I would have bought that one but the guy at the counter pissed me off so now I'll need to find one somewhere else.

Any reason why I should not chose this one? Again this is primarily as a close up and short range sight I'm looking at.

I think I'd like to pick up some folding irons to go on it also but am still a bit confused on how exactly to mount them on the Remmy. I've looked at them on some others but the R15 doesn't seem to have the same set up for mounting them as the others I've seen them on. Someone did point out an accessory rail think Remington offers tho that might be the answer if I can figure out where and how to mount it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2008, 01:55:17 PM »
I had a Bushnell Holo sight on my AR15 and removed it. At its lowest setting it was still to bright for low light conditions, making the target difficult to see. It is great for full light conditions. I had a Swift 2-7x matte laying around and it happens to be a perfect fit.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 03:35:58 PM »
Bill it seems the ML2 AimPoint is the non nightvision compatible version of the military used M2 model i have , If im not mistaken the boys in the big sand box are using the Aimpoint M3 model now ..
 Yeah the Aimpoint in the configuration i have it in on mine is the sight picture that bug posted a pick of
 i dont have any first hand experience with the ACOG or the EOtec ... I do however have a number of friends that have used them and had praise for them .. These are people whos thoughts on equipment i respect and trust...
 I'm sure some of the other guys here have experience with the other optics that i dont and will chime in..

So that ML2 i believe would serve your purposes without problem ....be sure to get your irons as well bill they are a most, Even if you never use them... Better to have and not need then need and not have ;)

Blah before i forget ,you were right the aimpoints mounting system is a single point mount here is a link http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/optics%2C-sights%2C-rings-bases/red-dot-sights-lasers/p/30mm-tactical-sight-mount%2C-by-cia/cPath/203_205/products_id/1806    you can also go with  http://www.rguns.net/010_5.html  but as you can see Aimpoint having contract with the US military hasnt made them think highly of their equipment at all ;)
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Bugflipper

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2008, 01:16:13 AM »
 This picatinny will mount on your hand gaurd, then you can put a flip down front sight on it. That is your easiest and cheapest option. I've never done this on a free float, so I don't know if it is stable enough.
http://www.remington.com/products/accessories/gun_parts/r-15_parts.asp

Or you can remove your gas block and install one with picatinny mounts or flip up front sight. In most cases you knock out the two pins and the small gas tube pin. And tap it off with a rubber hammer. Sometimes you have to heat it with a torch. To reinstall do the same or on some models they use allen screws in place of the pins.
http://www.picatinnyrails.com/SightsandBlocks.html

As for your irons they are going to install just like a scope mount. I'm not going to get into those right now because there are so many options. 

For the eotech.
http://www.nightgalaxy.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Eotech-511-Mossy-Oak&click=2

Or a camo aimpoint.
http://www.solunar.com/9000SC-P34391.aspx

I't's really just personal preference between an aimpoint and eotech. They are both high quality. Niether have a good warranty though. 2 years on a eotech. 10 years on an aimpoint. Personally I am partial to the aimpoint because I carried one in the army.
Molon labe

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2008, 05:17:02 AM »
This is the one I was looking at I'm sure:

I'm pretty committed at this point to picking up one to give a try. But I might also pick up one of these to try as well.

Is there any magnification to the Aimpoint 9000SC? I see a note that a 2X attachment is available so I assume it has no magnification as shown in the photo above.

To me, right or wrong I dunno, it just doesn't look as fast for use at close range but then I guess familarity is really gonna be important for quick and accurate use of either.

Is this the M3 you mentioned the military is using in Iraq at this time?

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Bugflipper

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2008, 09:08:04 AM »
We used the M3 in Bosnia, Peru and Kosovo. They use the comp M4 now. Still m2 and m3 in use.
http://www.manventureoutpost.com/outdoor/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8126
The doubler is on that picture, the black part on the rear of the scope. BTW the doubler dramatically decreases field of view, I don't think it is what you are looking for, for up close.
 If you want magnification with these sights this is the way to go, the 2,3,4,5,or 6x flips out of the way. This works with both. See pic below.
  If you are looking for faster, the only sight I know of is the aimpoint micro on the previous page of this thread.
http://www.solunar.com/Micro-H-1-4-MOA-P33550.aspx?afid=4
 On the holosight, the gentleman above is correct they are too bright, a light mounted on the rifle is a must for night time.
As for the two above the aimpoint is faster. The holosight uses a 1 moa dot, it can be hard to line up at about 25 yards or so. If you use the circle dot it's quicker, but under stress I found most people I train pull the trigger as soon as the outer cirle hits the target, which makes it impact way off.
Molon labe

Offline backstrap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
Remmy wants a person to mount a picattiny rail for the front sight on the floating forearm, that sounds strang i would rather have it on the gas block on the barrel than on the forearm that might flex and move
1 shot 1 kill

Offline CannonKrazy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2008, 04:32:50 PM »
OK I have been following this for a few days ever since the AR craze started. I for one don't know squat about this type of rifle but because of current events in this country feel it may be in my best interest to learn quickly and then purchase my own. GB has asked many of the questions I needed answers to. I have learned alot here but this little rifle sure can be mind boggling. It's amazing how many configurations you can set up and the options you have. A month ago I started looking at AR's and found I was dumb as mud when asking about one. Now the problem is finding one at a local gun shop.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2008, 03:08:55 AM »
it doesnt have to be this complicated.   i chose a rifle that wasnt a flat top,. therefore it came with the iron sights.  the trade off is that at ranges way out there, it wont be quite as accurate as the rifle could be; but i can still place a round in a human with the range of the round.   and i can also pick up targets pretty quick as is without all the toys.  and, it is less stuff  to break.   

you can choose what route you want to go with ar's.

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2008, 06:26:19 PM »
Cannon my Father is in your boat as well ... ok well was , i found him an AR in my area ..... He still lives in the communist state of california ..But has his first AR waiting for him in my safe now

Before i had a offer to get a complete rifle from a private party , We were going to order up the complete lower reciever and the upper reciever as seperate orders but once together they add up to the whole rifle ...this all coming from a place with no (NONE AT ALL in any way shape or form) complete ARs available ... But they had their Lowers and Uppers still available go figure heh

Sorry bill not tryin to go off topic , just help out a lil  ;)   ...  Cannon go check out RGUNS.Com for more info on that ... Remember once you have the complete upper and complete lower , two take down pins a full mag and your off to the races with your first AR ... Also the lower reciever is the FFL required part so your lower will be the item you need to make arrangments with a local dealer to have shipped in to him for your NICS , The Upper can be sent to your house...

Hope that helps ya out a little bit,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline phalanx

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2008, 06:58:07 PM »
Ive had the aim points , they were OK except they are not real accurate out to 30 yards ,or the two i had were not.
I mean they were like a 3in MOA ,but the Eotech is good out to anything your eyes can see .
The large window is good for flip up sights because it doesn't interfere with the sight picture.
And at night they work very well for target acquisition , turn them down and where the doughnut is, is where your hitting.
All the others you are still looking down a tube ,with the Eotech your just following the the little circle and whatever is moveing.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III