Author Topic: Knight breach plug conversion  (Read 1598 times)

Offline MWells

• Trade Count: (3)
Knight breach plug conversion
« on: October 14, 2008, 06:14:31 AM »
I have the Disc Extreme. I now need to order the red discs. My question is, should I spring for the conversion breach plug that allows me to use bare primer and be done with the discs for good or just order a couple hundred of the red discs and be done for a while? Anyone use the conversion breach plug? How is accuracy and ignition? What about the weatherproof feature of the red discs? Is this comprimised by using the bare primer in this gun? The gun is shooting way above my expectaions with every load I have fed it. Part of me says stick with what works, but I would like to get rid of theose discs, they can be a real pain.

BTW, I am currently shooting loose triple 7, but am thinking about a change to the blackhorn powder just to see what it can do.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Re: Knight breach plug conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 08:37:23 AM »
I used both plugs in my Elite.  I did all of my practice and target work with the conversion, then when I went hunting, I'd put the FPJ plug back in.  Of course, I made sure that all of my loads shot the same with both plugs.  I never had a problem at all.  The Non-FPJ plug will allow more blowback to enter the primer area and get on your scope and such.

Offline MWells

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 09:26:16 AM »
I hadn't thought about doing that. I have only used mine at the range so far. Were you able to find a load that woudl shoot both well?

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 10:09:09 AM »
It did pretty good with anything I tried from Knight and T/C, but it really shot the 300gr SST with a (just a little over max, it's up to you though) charge of 130gr 777 3F loose powder.  I'm talking one hole groups at 100 yds, for 5 shots.  Didn't matter whether I swabbed the barrel between shots or not.  I'll tell you though, if you have loose teeth, false teeth, or an aversion to some stiff recoil, that load isn't for you.  Make sure your scope has enough eye relief, at least 4", or you're gonna get cut.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 11:15:27 PM »
 I have 2 Knights with the orange discs & one that takes the red. I had thought about some conversion but plan to stay original. I had heard there was a little more blow-back with the non plastic setup, not sure how much. For this Fall my load is 120grns of B209 & a 250grn Hornaday SST that I am very happy with. The SST is the regular type not the 'low drag'. The low drag was almost to loose with the B209.
NRA, Veteran

Offline kmbrown

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 08:39:12 AM »
I like the FPJ's.  They are easier to handle in the woods and you don't need a capper.  Check Midway's website if you order some.  The last time I bought them they were 4.95 a box which is half what everyone else was selling them for. 

Offline mparks

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Mick's outdoor page
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 02:47:19 PM »
I like the n-FPJ conversion plug.  With BH209, I had more carbon fouling in the breech with the FPJs(recessed plug) than with the n-FPJ conversion(domed plug).  Took forever to clean the carbon near the threads with the FPJ.  In the n-FPJ, I only get a small line of fouling in the center of the loading port that is easy to clean.

Offline MWells

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 05:15:24 AM »
My biggest problem was that I could not find the red discs locally. I found them on Midway and Cabelas for 8.99 a box of 100, but shipping was going to be around 12 bucks. I couldn't bring myself to pay more for shipping than the item costs on something so small. But I was in Houston last weekend on business and stopped by Gander Mnt, and they had them in stock. Picked up 200, so I should be good for a while. Like I said earlier, I really like the way this rifle is shooting and I didn't really want to mess with anything. Now I don't. Future plans call for a 45 cal barrell for my Contender, and I am thinking about doing the 25 cal conversion on that one. Thanks for the replies.

Offline NitroSteel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 06:02:44 AM »
I am in the process of aquiring a Disc Extreme and was thinking:  "Is there any reason NOT to do this?".  If there is, I'd really like to know.  I'd rather just skip buying the bag of discs if there's no drawback other than the $38.00.  The only reason I DIDN'T want to get this rifle was BECAUSE of the disks.

How wet does a primer have to get before it won't work?  How wet can a primer get with the bolt closed anyways?  I've left 209's laying on top of my BB mortar carriage for months with condensation forming on the metal carriage every evening and very rarely do they ever not fire...

Thank ya'll for your insight.

NitroSteel

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 08:30:11 AM »
 Not to advertise for Knight but I never had a problem with the plastic discs. I reuse them a little when target shooting, put them over a crack & push the old out. If I were to get real hard up for a part I would call Knight directly. When hunting I pre-load a few for the hunt & am all set. I see the T/C guys with their 'capper' & we all have other essentials when dealing with a M-L. I did plan to get a few extra discs, so far I still have a bunch left in my original 100ct pack of orange & red discs. The main thing for me is how my M-L performs at the range & on the hunt.
NRA, Veteran