Author Topic: Foaming Bore Cleaner and ARs  (Read 572 times)

Offline paul105

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Foaming Bore Cleaner and ARs
« on: November 07, 2008, 05:40:46 AM »
Re:  Outers Foaming Bore Cleaner -- this "NOTE:" appears on the can:

"Can be used with recoil operated automatics but NOT recommended for gas operated automatics."

Anybody know why?  All comments, experiences are appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Offline SDS-GEN

• Contributor
Re: Foaming Bore Cleaner and ARs
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 06:27:26 AM »
I learned why when I sprayed the stuff down the barrell of my AR.  The thought hit me soon after I used it, "what about the stuff expanding into the gas tube?".  I used an air compressor and a peice of rubber tube to blow that crap out of the gas tube, and there was a bunch of it in there.  The foaming cleaners work great at cleaning barrells but I won't use them in my gas operated guns anymore.  Most say somewhere on the label that they can be destructive to steel if left on for too long.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 05:31:08 AM »
I've used it in my AR by mistake and some crud was in the tube.  With the amount of gas pressure in that tube when the next round gets fired I expect the crud to get blown out all over the bolt carrier and everything else.  Live & learn.

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 12:34:07 PM »
You can go to Wally world and buy a can of compressed air in the electronics dept. It even has the little spray straw like a can of WD-40 does. Stick it in the gas tube in the receiver where the carrier key sits on top of the bolt carrier and blow it out of the gas tube. Foaming bore cleaner won't hurt steel unless it's left in for a VERY long time ( like overnight). If you ever fire very dirty ammo in your AR the gas tube can, but probably won't, become clogged. I've been playing with the M16/AR15 since '81 and have never seen one clog or need to be replaced.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 03:24:59 PM »
I've never seen or heard of one needing replaced either.  How does the foam damage steel if it's left over night?

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 03:43:30 PM »
I guess some of the older stuff was abrasive. I remember seeing it way back when saying not to leave it in for a long period of time, like overnight. I just looked at my new can of Outers foaming bore cleaner and it isn't anywhere on it. In fact it says "Non toxic  Non abrading  No ammonia  No harsh chemicals". So after looking closer, I can't see any problem with using the stuff. Just blow it out of the gas tube with compressed air while it's still wet and it should be good to go.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 01:29:40 AM »
The foam does turn into goo if it's left too long and my gas tube has some of it in it.  I may try to spray some WD-40 through it just to clean it out or some other chemical and then clean it out again.

Offline paul105

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 03:24:12 AM »
Talked with my gunsmith the other day.  He's retired navy, and a former police armeror.  He said it was the potential goo buildup (mentioned by teddy12b below) that could cause problems in the gas tube (also bolt lugs/recesses) if not cleaned thoroughly.  He suggested using long pipe cleaners to clear the gas tube.  Also, on the AR15 forum, a couple of guys suggested using a shot of brake cleaner in the gas tube.  I think I'll use the Outers Foaming Bore Cleaner, followed by a shot of brake cleaner and then the long pipe cleaner.

I knew that the Outers' stuff was non corrosive, non abrasive, no ammonia and no harsh chemicals.  I have used it with complete satifaction on other rifles.

Thanks for all the replies.

Paul